A different kinda of hidden subs

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Allen Ross, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

Okay we all know about the simple box sub, the sono sub, and the coffe table sub. But i thought of a really freaking cool (at least i think it is) way to hid a nice big size box.

Remember back in the 50-70 or so, when they had the turn table amp speaker combo? it was about 4 feet long about 2 feet by 1.5 feet squar on the end. and you could hid all your records in the sliding top?

well if one could snag one at goodwill for really cheap i think it would make a great retro sub, basicly the design will be similar to a sono sub but on the side. I know that you would have to add an internal box and have it braced out, But i think it would make a great vintage sub and seeing that its already finnished that takes care of one head ache

2. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I think that is a pretty cool idea. I remember when I was growing up my aunt & uncle had one of those beast. Myself I wouldn't wont one of them in my living room, but none the less it is a pretty cool idea.

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

You could also do the same thing with an old dresser. Just take out the drawers, and reattach the face of the drawers. Brace the inside, mount the sub on the bottom, and there ya go. Hmmmm, gets me thinking....

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

How about building one directly inside the couch? [​IMG]

Actually, I've always looked at those Roman-looking columns you see at home decor stores. You know, the ones you set your fake plants on?

5. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

I am building a sonosub for a friend right now that will look like a roman column. Using that dense styrofoam cut into rings to finish it.

Brian

6. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

While we're throwing out ideas, I've been thinking about building a base for a bed and incorporating a sub. It would work great for my bedroom system, the only difficult thing is figuring out how to mount/fire the sub without having a ridiculously large lift. Right now I'm thinking about some creative down firing baffling or something.

7. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

talk about a vibrating bed, and guess what its not coin operated.

I can see some real potential fun from this idea :twisted:

8. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

A bandpass would probably work well for a bed sub, if you wanted to deal with that type of alignment. You could also probably make an opening manifold large enough to allow it to work as a sealed or ported design without the extra manifold skewing the alignment too much.