What's new

A Defect in the Sony DA5ES! (1 Viewer)

WilliamS

Agent
I've gone through about two of these from Good Guys, and now one from Oade Bros.

The defect comes when you're using a S-Video out to anyone if the s-video connections (DVD, Video 1 or 2, etc.) and running a s-video from the monitor OUT connection on the reciever to the S-video IN on the TV.

On my 27" Trintion TV the defect happens when information an the screen is all black with a little bit f text on it -- at the begining of O' Brother Where Art Thou DVD when the Touchstone logo appears. THis makes the TV blinks in and out.

When I tested it at Good Guys, we tried it on a Phillips flat screen model and it made wavy lines in the picture.

Does any one own this reciever? Has this happened to you, too?

I called Sony and they were/are clueless about the problem.

And just for arguement sakes I tested all three s-video cables I have, and when I was at Good Guys we tested mine and some of theirs. So I know it's not the cables.

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
William,

If I were you I'd return the DA5ES. Sony's ES receivers are not as good as they used to be. They're no longer made in Japan but in Malaysia and the quality control is not very good. Last year's V series receivers had problems and from what you're saying the new ones have problems too. Not to mention that Sony's customer service is horrible and their service centers aren't capable of fixing anything.

Razvan

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I beleive that another well known defect is a volume control

with a mind of it's own. I have read numerous posts where the

volume simply raises or lowers it's self. I think this defect

covered many of the higher end models and not just one model.

And then there is the well known defect with some of Sony's

DVD Players where you get constand E:13 Messages and the

inability to play anything. This effects the DVP S360 and 560

for certain.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Razvan, for crying out loud, many companies have had problems with receivers, so Sony is hardly alone. The 'DA5ES is a new model, so it may take time for a bug to be worked out. As for "problems" with the 'V' series ES receivers, not everyone has been plagued with such problems. My 'V444ES exhibits the volume display "bug" very rarely. In fact, I haven't seen it happen on my unit for several months, and when it does happen, it happens for a split second once, usually when I turn it on, and that's it. I also have not experienced the hiss problem that some have reported, so that problem is not major as far as I am concerned. Besides, many companies have had problems with hissing from receivers, so don't go nuts about Sony's problems. Finally, I know you think the 'DA777ES was all things that a good receiver should be for eternity, but you continually go overboard in slighting other Sony ES receivers. Enough is enough.
Yeah, Sony is only company to have a bug in a new product. How fast people forget about fan problems on the Denon AVR-3300 or hissing from the Onkyo TX-DS777 receivers or bugs with Denon and many other company's DVD players. :rolleyes

Michael_T

Second Unit
I guess I can cross this receiver off my list.

I was thinking about purchasing one of these because they have two multichannel inputs - and I have both a DVD-Audio and multichannel SACD player. I guess I will stick with my Integra 6.2 and manually change cables when I want to listen to the various surround formats (DVD-A or SACD).

Anyone know of any other recievers (other than Sony)that are similiarly priced to the DA5ES that have more than one multichannel analog input?

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, dear, all the V series receivers that I tried had the volume control problem. I owned a 444ES for a few months and it drove me crazy. I thank Buddha every day that I was able to sell it.

Now, many other people complained about this problem. Elementary mathematics will tell you that if someone buys a V series receiver there's a good chance that it will also have that problem ( ditching Math 1 was definitely not a good idea).

In addition to that, I don't like how these receivers sound like. The 777 is a GREAT receiver soundwise, the V series and the new DA series are average at best.

I'd also like to mention the fact that I bought the 444 because of your orgasmic review of it. After reading several of your recent posts I find my past naivete perplexing.

Razvan

WilliamS

Agent
Donal Shrum,

What did your friend do?

And just for the record: I think the Sony DA5ES sounds really sharp, and other than this one defect which doesn't happen all that often (but always at the same part), I love it. There is zero hiss in the speakers, multi-channel options are great, and the DTS-ES and PL2 are a big plus (Rogue Squadron 2 never sounded so good!).

No volume problem, yet.

Plus this thing is a TANK! A goog 50 lbs, easy.

WilliamS

Agent
Donal Shrum,

What did your friend do?

And just for the record: I think the Sony DA5ES sounds really sharp, and other than this one defect which doesn't happen all that often (but always at the same part), I love it. There is zero hiss in the speakers, multi-channel options are great, and the DTS-ES and PL2 are a big plus (Rogue Squadron 2 never sounded so good!).

No volume problem, yet.

Plus this thing is a TANK! A good 50 lbs, easy.

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
William,

The DA5ES is indeed heavy but it's more like 40 lbs, at least that's what I remember reading in its manual. The DA777ES is 50 lbs and I think that the V series receivers are around 35 lbs each.

Razvan

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I have had no such problems with my DA5ES.

It has performed flawlessly. I use to own the Sony 777ES and yes it was a nice unit but I can't understand what all the fuss was about. I had several problems with it including, running extremely hot, the cheap plastic gear motorized door that never worked properly, closed half way or just hung open............

If you can find a better 1K receiver than the DA5ES with two multichannel inputs, built like a tank and a 5 year warranty.......... good luck!!!!!

geo

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
All,
A quick question for you DA5ES owners since you're all in this thread already ;) I'm just about settled on getting a DA5ES for myself, but I'm fuzzy on how the zone3 outputs operate. Could someone fill me in real quick? I did notice the 'none/main/main+zone3' knob on the front which makes me think that the main zone might be restricted when running the zone3 amplifiers as well...
Oh, and any other problems you guys have found I'd be greatful to hear about...
Thanks,
-- Dave

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Razvan, first, I am flattered that you would call me 'dear', but please don't take my flattery the wrong way, as I have a girlfriend. Also, please don't be offended if I don't return the affection.

I don't know that my review of the 'V444ES was "orgasmic", but the only reason you direct such sarcasm towards me is because you were disappointed with the receiver, as if I am responsible. The 'V444ES didn't work out for you. Too bad! The 'V444ES has served me very well. I am just as impressed with the receiver now, especially for the $640 I paid, as the day I got it in September 2000. You can use any rationale you want to defend your position on the 'V' series receivers such as "simple math", but I have not experienced the problems you and some others have with the 'V' series receivers, and I am not alone. That's all I was saying. My point is that not everyone feels betrayed by Sony with their newer ES receivers as you do. You state your harsh opinions about Sony as if they are fact. They are merely your opinions. You can't make generalizations about recent Sony ES receivers and expect them to go unchallenged. You know some Forum members own these receivers, and frankly, it seems as though you are trying to incite an argument with your harsh comments.

Now, the 'DA5ES weighs approximately 44 lbs., while the 'V444ES and 'V555ES weigh 37.5 lbs. The 'V333ES weighs about 35 lbs. Any other questions?

You said:

After reading several of your recent posts I find my past naivete perplexing.
I assume you are referring to my experiences with the 'JA555ES minidisc deck. Well, that was frustrating, but Sony customer service is coming around. I now have a contact at Sony Corporate at the managerial level (name, direct extension, and voice mail access) to discuss this matter further if necessary. A standard customer service rep. transferred me to this manager without any hassle, and she has been very accommodating. I also received a phone call from a lead technician at the Bristol, PA, repair facility, upon my request, to discuss exactly what happened. He gave me his name and work schedule, and I am going to bring the deck in this week so he can get a firsthand look at everything. He will see the dent on the front panel and the problem with the drawer firsthand. Also, he asked me to type up exactly what needs to be repaired so there is no confusion and so that they make things right this time.

Yes, this situation with Sony has been frustrating, but it seems as though one or two bad apples at Bristol dropped the ball in handling my repair workorder. Now it seems that I have worked my way to the people at Sony who will take some responsibility. Yes, it took some legwork, but I have made significant progress, and for that, I have to give Sony some credit. I have dealt with many companies that have done absolutely nothing for me and have no idea what customer service is all about. Sony is actually doing better by me right now. In the end, I have nothing to worry about. The 'JA555ES will be fixed or it will be replaced.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, Not sure what your looking for? The DA5ES has Video and analog audio out jacks for 2nd room. The 2nd room output is connected to an amp driving speakers in another room. Only signals connected to analog input jacks are output through the 2nd room out jacks. The sound source is selected using the jog dial.
3rd room output is from the 3rd room speakers terminals.
Set the speaker switch to main+3rd room and select the source.
I haven't actually used the multi zone features, just took info from the manual.
My only concern with the DA5ES is that it doesn't have an onscreen volume display :frowning:
geo

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Geo,
I figured the zone 2 output worked like the zone2 from other recievers, but since zone 3 was powered I was concerned that it might not be as flexible as zone 2. For instance, can zone 3's source be selected independantly of zone1/2? (a look at the '2nd zone remote' seems to indicate yes). Can zone 3 be playing stereo material while zone 1 is playing 5/6.1 material? Can zone 3 play material from digital inputs, such as from a CD jukebox? While I'm at it, is zone 2 or zone 3 effected in any way by tone, bass management, etc? (I'd assume not, but you never know).
Man, figuring this stuff out would be so much easier if Sony just put their manuals online like any other decent manufacturer. That is probably my single greatest reservation with buying high-end Sony equipment, as usability is as important to me as sound quality... (Yes, I know that's blasphemy, flame all you want :) )
Thanks again,
-- Dave

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
While I'll be the first to admit my reciever does have the volume control issue It doesn't affect the sound at all. The difference is -1 to +1 on the volume knob. You can't notice the volume difference at all.

To me its such a small price to pay for such great sound and the great crossover which further improves the sound.

Honestly I doubt you'll find another reciever with 2 sets of multichannel inputs for under $1k.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
"Honestly I doubt you'll find another reciever with 2 sets of multichannel inputs for under $1k."
Onkyo 787,797,898 :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brett, I don't know what you are talking about. Onkyo does not make a receiver that has two sets of multi-channel inputs, and this includes the TX-DS989.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks