A decent inexpensive AV surround processor

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jay H, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    In relationship to my thread on the Outlaw 990, I'm actually looking at the cheaper 970 really but it's hard to find an inexpensive preamp, surround processor these days. I need to replace a Parasound PSP 1500/Parasound PSP-1550 DD processor combo with something similar. Many pre/processors seem to be very expensive, I got the Parasound combo for about $1100 for both as they were demo units. The outlaw seems to be a bargain at around $700 seems like a true bargain. Is there anything else in this approx price range I should be looking at?

My only gripe is with some problems reported with the 970 on the Outlaw message forums, hopefully fixed by now, and the DVI inputs. However, my Sony upconverting DVD player has HDMI outputs which I have connected directly to my TV. The toslink output from my Sony goes to my DD processor anyway. The Outlaw upconverts composite and S-video inputs to a Component monitor which is a nice feature my old Parasound lacks.

Does anybody know any other brands/models I should be looking at, needs to offer DD 5.1 at least, DTS, a tuner is nice as my old HK Citation 23 is dead too it seems.

Jay

2. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Any receivers with preouts fit the bill?