A decent entry-level reciever for around $300 Canadian

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Can any of you recommend a good entry level reciever for around $300-350 Canadian. Some recievers I have seen in this price point are the Sony STRDE575 and a Panasonic SA-HE70. I know many of you will tell me to spend more money but I am already spending alot more money than I had anticipated! I am only in high school so I can't afford much but the people in the newbie forum already steered me clear of HTiBs and recommended some Fluance Speakers and a DLS 10" sub. I don't need true audiophile grade sound but I would like something with good sound, enough power to drive my speakers well, DD and DTS decoding. Also I really don't know what kind of quality to expect from the setup I want, will an entry level reciever with Fluance speakers and a DLS sub out perform my friends "super-bass gigatube system"? Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Justin,
    See this thread ....

3. Justin Ward

wow, that is a great price for the Technics, if they ship to Canada I think I just found my reciever! Thanks alot.

4. Justin Ward

one question about that site you linked to. The shipping is about $28 to the US, but what about to Canada?

5. Keith Ro

Keith Ro Agent

6. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I'm in high school as well. Living in Alberta, Min wage is $5.90. I'm only making 7.25, and don't work all that much. I somehow ended up with a Sony Minisysyem. (Better then the ugly gigatube plastic peice of garbag)Now I have Klipsch RF3II's, new. And Im buying a reviever. I started wanting a $200 Pioneer, now I'm looking at $2000 recievers.[​IMG]
    Just save save save. (If you can) The new Onkyo500 goes for $598 CDN. Talk em' down $50 and have a real reciever.

7. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I used to have a Yamaha receiver for about $300us it was pretty good, I would recommend them they have a nice sound my friend has one to and he's in high school he likes it. Just don't be impressed by their multiple DSP modes they are basically worthless.

Daniel Smith

8. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

Try Pioneer VSX-d411 or 511 or 611 maybe they are in your range.

9. Nick_Shah

Nick_Shah Stunt Coordinator

Another wrinkle with ordering from the U.S. is that the warranty may be void in Canada. To be certain of this, check the manufacturer's website, or call their customer service department in Canada to see if they would honour a U.S. warranty.

A word of warning: Denon, Onkyo and Marantz (and surely others) are quite expensive in Canada as compared to Yamaha, Pioneer, etc. I think this is due to the lack of a solid distributor network in Canada for these companies. So, you may be paying a premium.

Some electronics stores carry used and refurbished merchandise, which is a reasonable way to save some money. Just make sure that there's some sort of satisfaction guarantee, or even try out the unit at the store itself. I know that the thrill of buying a new and unused product is a big one, but you may strike a great deal on a great piece of hardware that you'd never dream of finding in your price range normally.

Good luck to you!

-Nick

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'd also highly suggest you consider the used market. You can often find great bargins used that you might not normally have thought possible. Sure you might miss some of the latest and greatest formats (PLII) but your amps would likely be better quality. That said didn't the new Panasonic receiver get solid reviews?