A Decade Under the Influence

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SarahG, Jul 23, 2003.

1. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

I read about this when it went to Sundance this winter. Sounds like an awesome documentary -- basically about the movies of the 70s, how so many daring movies were financed by the studios and what kind of influence they have now. Apparenty IFC will be showing it in 3 parts this August. I'm looking forward to checking this one out.

anyone else?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I missed it when it was playing theaters around here - the trailer, aside from being grainy digital video that looked like it would be painful to watch for the length of a full feature, also came off as pretty smug and self-congratulatory.

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

It will be coming to DVD on 9/30 from A&E.

4. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

Jason -- really? I didn't get that impression at all from the small clips I found. I wonder if it was just from a certain person being interviewed?

Good to know its coming out on DVD. I'm glad IFC gives me a sneak peak in August. That way if I like it I can go ahead and pick it up in Sept.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Thanks for the heads-up Scott. I’ve not seen the film and I’m really quite interested.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

The film's interview list is incredible and that alone is enough to interest me in the documentary. I think that's probably whats new about this film -- the fact that Demme got nearly every major player from the 70s to give their 2 cents about the cinema of that time. And as far as not wanting to spend money on it -- thats cool. Its why I'm glad that IFC will be playing it on television for the masses.

ps. just noticed your Heat Vision and Jack quote. Made me laugh. I loved that pilot -- did you see it during "The Other Network?"

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yep, two "Other Network" shows ran late-night for a few weeks at the Coolidge Corner theater in Brookline. Hilarious stuff; "Heat Vision And Jack" really needs to be made available for more public consumption.

9. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Unfortunately, it is a fluff piece. Not only is it a very superficial look at this remarkable decade but they do so without interviewing Spielberg or Lucas, and only mention Malick and Kubrick in passing. Glaring omissions if you ask me.

There have been far better documentaries made about this decade. I've read "Easy Riders and Raging Bulls" but I haven't seen the recent film. Anyone here see it? Any good?

10. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Easy Riders and Raging Bulls has been playing lately on IFC and Movie Pix in Canada. It's allright, mostly for the interviews and memories, but it concentrates on a few specific filmmakers too. Off the top of my head, I'm probably forgetting something : Hopper, Coppola, Peckinpah, Scorsese, Lucas, Hartley, Bogdanovich, Spielberg , Polanski. No Malick or Kubrick that I recall.

11. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

I've heard about the other documentary but don't know much about it. Simon, is it really being shown on IFC? Seems strange that the same cable channel would show 2 docs that are so similar.

Funny, I didn't get a "fluff piece" vibe from Decade at all. And wasn't it huge at Sundance? I'd expect that to be a pretty discerning crowd.

Now on the decidedly fluff end of things, here's a 70s film knowledge quiz. I sucked at it, personally but I'm expecting a lot from you guys!

ps. Jason -- I recently bought the Heat Vision & Jack vcd off Ebay. So it's out there if you want it.

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

13. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Sarah, it was shown on IFC Canada, not the same programming as the US IFC although we have similiar stuff like Dinner for Five. I think it's run is over now anyway.

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Bringing this back to the top now that A Decade Under the Influence is indeed playing on the Independent Film Channel. It was split into three parts, with the third part airing tonight (8/22) at 8pm, 11pm and 2am (all times EDT).

The three parts will be shown back-to-back tomorrow, Sat., 8/23, beginning at 8pm and 1am. Haven't watched it yet, but my TiVo is set.

15. Michael Reuben

I finally got a chance to watch this last night, and while it doesn't exactly break new ground, it does bring together some wonderful interview clips by an impressive list of participants. And a lot of the film clips from the period made me want to go back and revisit films I haven't seen in years (gotta get The King of Marvin Gardens). People like Friedkin, Scorsese and Sidney Pollack are predictably articulate, but I also enjoyed hearing from Julie Christie, Bruce Dern, Ellen Burstyn and even Jon Voight.

I hope this gets released on DVD. For people looking for a quick introduction to 70s filmmaking, it could be a valuable resource. The editing is crisp, and none of the interview segments is allowed to drag. Of course, the current events of the period are a major topic, and they flash by so fast in news footage and still photos that someone who didn't live through it will probably miss a lot. But you'll get enough.

M.

16. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    I was really touched by Coppola's brief discussion of Ted Demme at the end. I only met Ted once (along with his wife and mother), but he was a real sweetheart. It's a shame that he only conducted 2 or 3 of the interviews himself.

I also found it interesting that some of the interviews were conducted by various other filmmakers; Michael De Luca comes to mind (presumably he and Demme formed a relationship during the making of Blow).

DJ

17. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I thought it was fun but for the most part Easy Riders, Raging Bulls was better, IMO. The one major thing I really preferred about Decade Under the Influence was the way it acknowledged the cycle of influences in film. They made a point of how the filmmakers coming in during the late 60's and 70's were influenced by filmmakers around the world, and that those international filmmakers were previously influenced by the great Hollywood directors in the golden age, which in turn cycled back to a new appreciation of those filmmakers by the younger generation, who had grown up dismissing the old Hollywood. And the show also acknowledged guys like Cassavettes (sp?), who were doing more experimental movies back during the 50's. Easy Riders, Raging Bulls never did this, instead making it seem like there was a line in the sand with the new kids on one side (with a couple of older guys like Peckinpah tossed in) and the old establishment directors on the other side.

One thing that was funny to me about Decade Under the Influence was that despite the title, they didn't acknowledge the drug abuse among the directors like Easy Riders, Raging Bulls did. There was a part toward the end, with someone brainstorming all the reasons for why the directors of the 70's began losing their clout and making fewer good movies, and she somehow managed to come up with just about every reason except that they were getting totally blasted on cocaine [​IMG] It was a good documentary, though, and I liked the sheer number of movies and personalities it covered.

18. Michael Reuben