What's new

A David Lynch Bargain (1 Viewer)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Last night I at had a chance to go to Best Buy. I had an old gift card on me as my only currency. There was just $12.03 left on the card. I really thought I’d be stuck buying a music CD since most affordable DVD(s) suck! In my own scary mind I attended on buying Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, even though I actually had yet to see the film or an episode from the series. It’s the only R-rated Lynch movie I have yet to experience. I searched and this movie was nowhere to be found. Well I went into the drama section to see if I overlooked the movie in there, but I didn’t. I ask an employee about the title which they informed that they should be receiving new editions next week. I went back into the drama section just to browse any titles I liked that maybe on sale. Mulholland Drive, one copy without a price, I grab it thinking I’ll just ask the store clerk about how much. To my big surprise he rang up $9.99 for the movie. I didn’t know. I now own my first David Lynch DVD for a bargain!

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Good find. I saw a copy of Mulholland at Circuit City for the same price; this used to go for something like 25 bucks and when I found it for 14.99, I thought it was a steal then. But 9.99 is a no-brainer.

Don't give up on Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. It might be my favorite Lynch film. I think it's the "2001 of metaphysical horror films," whatever that means. Way, way visionary stuff...and consequently completely misunderstood by most audiences and critics. I did take issue with the framing of the dvd, though; looks like it was cropped on all sides when compared to the full screen VHS...and that usually indicates a botched mastering job. But then this was a Lynch-supervised transfer, so I guess this is the way he wanted it released on dvd. Any way you slice it, and absolute must.

--Jack

StephanieC

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats on your find, Mulholland Drive is a great film. I would really suggest NOT seeing Fire Walk With Me until you've seen at least the first season, otherwise you'll be incredibly confused and miss out on all the character foibles.
Actually a lot of under $12 DVDs are great, like Once Upon A Time in the West, the new Manchurian Candidate SE... tons more!

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
FWWM is a movie I don’t actually think I need the TV series to enjoy. My favorite movie by David is Lost Highway: which by the way I can’t even begin to describe the plot.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
As one Lynch fan to another, I'm gonna try to stop you from committing a grave, grave error.

I'm also a fan of FWWM, but to view it prior to viewing the series would be an immense disservice to yourself. It won't so much effect your enjoyment (or lack thereof) of FWWM, but it will spoil the hell out of the tv series.

And, between the two, the tv series is the far, far greater work. At least everything up to the fate of the person who is, er, the "instrument of the killing", that is, everything through about the midpoint of season two, meaning everything that will be spoiled by a premature viewing of FWWM. I'll defend FWWM to the final frame, but I wouldn't begin to suggest it's a greater work than the tv series.

And since it's available on DVD, at least watch the pilot and season one before FWWM. That is, if you want to preserve for yourself one of the truly great Lynchian experiences. I'm begging you. If it hasn't already been spoiled for you, don't inflict the spoiling upon yourself. What you intend to do is terribly, terribly inadvisable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks