What's new

A DATE WITH JUDY arrives on DVD 11/6 from WARNER (1 Viewer)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Heads up for movie musical fans:

I got an email from a friend this morning who had just pre-ordered A DATE WITH JUDY from Deep Discount. It's not rumor, it's fact. 11/6 street date.

This must be some kind of exclusive because I also checked DD's sister-company Critic's Choice, and they have it too.

This is a terrific movie, and I've seen a lot of posts here over the years with people wanting this on DVD. Apparently Warner has answered their wishes.

(For those who don't know the film, it's a luscious Technicolor musical comedy starring Jane Powell, Elizabeth Taylor, Wallace Beery, Robert Stack, Carmen Miranda and Xavier Cugat. A delightful film, and a huge hit in its day)

I just ordered one myself. Spread the word!

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
WOW! This is so terrific!!!!! Needless to say, I am ordering it now!

One of the films I most wanted on DVD and a gem of a musical!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

From the first time I saw it when I was teenager in the late 80s, it's been such a favorite and I am an all-time Jane Powell fan.

Thank you sharing the fabulous news, Mr. Rollins!!!

And thank you once more to Warner for making my heart ring with song all year with the release of so many glorious musicals! :)

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
I really hope that WB is not testing the waters, so to speak, re: the release of any other Jane Powell films...she deserves much better!

A boxed set(s) of her MGM musicals, to my mind, is long overdue...as charming and lovely an MGM star that she was...her looks...her voice!...please, WB!

It would also be lovely to issue a set to celebrate her 79th birthday in April (2008).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Delighted to read this, but I wish they had opted for TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE. Apart from SEVEN BRIDES and ROYAL WEDDING, it's my favorite Powell picture.

Still, I am glad I can retire the DVD-R I burned off TCM once I get the real thing in my hands.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I am very surprised that WB has selected Deep Discount and Critics Choice for this exclusive, but then I don't understand how "exclusives" are supposed to "work" with respect to marketing (e.g., The Universal Sci-Fi Collections at Best Buy). Amazon is/was supposed to notify me when it's available.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Finally, one of my favorite Jane Powell's movie on dvd (Being Two Weeks with Love and Nancy Goes to Rio the other 2, though I love every other Jane Powell movie). Count me in for any box set dedicated to her.
And even more satisfying if to hear news from WB, in silence for so many weeks...
I's definitely a most unusual day!!!!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I've wanted this on dvd for years and had completely forgotten about it. I've enjoyed listening to a few of the radio shows that the movie is based on (starring Louise Ericson who also played Marjorie on The Great Gildersleeve). Can't wait for this! Thanks again Warners!

Corey

Screenwriter
Wow, it's on my Amazon notification list and I definitely wasn't expecting this. Here's hoping more of Jane's films come, too.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I guess unless a second hand copy is being sold, since this is an "exclusive" release, it will not be on Amazon. Has there been any news about any extras on this much-awaited disc?

Corey

Screenwriter
I hope it includes a trailer gallery and the TCM Private Screenings with Jane.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

Mine shipped over a week ago, but no sign of it yet (?) I'm used to Amazon and it's lightning-speed service so this is a LONG wait!!!

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
Just a heads up to say I received my "Date With Judy" DVD from Deep Discount today - extras (for those interested) are the film's trailer, vintage short "Martin Block's Musical Merry-Go-Round" and the cartoon "Professor Tom".
Seems like a nice Technicolor print - looking forward to viewing this over the weekend (or maybe sooner?)
Alistair (in the UK)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Don't forget DeepDiscount's current 20% off sale. Drops the price to $11.99.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Now scheduled for a general release on April 22, 2008, per the Classicflix blog.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks