A couple system questions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Whalen, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

I got a Kenwood HTB-504 for X-mas. I've got it all set up except for the rear speakers. I haven't had time to run the wires under the floor yet. My question is, how much better will it sound with the rear speakers in place? Not that it doesn't sound good now, just wondering what the rear speakers will do for it.

Second, I was planning on corner-loading my sub in a corner of the room (right now it's next to the entertainment center). How much clearance do I need from the wall to the front of the sub? I think I read somewhere on here that I should stay 12" from the wall, but when I tested it out, the closest I could get was 8-10". Would this still work, or should I try to get it to 12"?

Dan

2. Dan Whalen

?Anyone?[​IMG]
    Dan

3. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

Hello Dan.

Hook them up now and go listen to scenes from Saving Private Ryan, Perl Harbor, The Phantom Menace, and 100's of others. It will be like day and night. The difference is that you will be immersed in the middle of the action rather than having it sound out in front of you. It won't make much of a difference on dialogue-heavy titles. (Though I personally don't have a receiver with DPL2, so I don't know what affect that will have on traditional 2-channel sources.)

As for the sub, you will just have to experiment with the placement. I have my Dharman in the corner on a 45 degree angle facing the listening area, pretty close to the corner, as much as the huge enclosure will allow it to go and it sounds fine there. This is also pretty much the same setup I had for the Sony before I got the Dharman, and it also sounded good there once I callibrated it properly.

-David

4. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Dan,

Do yourself a favor and don't run the wires under the floor

until you have hooked them up and moved them around a bit

to find the best spot(s).

Keep in mind, the ideal (maybe not practical) locations are on

a circle, drawn around your listening position, that passes

through your main speakers.

old..

5. Dan Whalen

Thanks guys. Yeah, I was thinking of pre-wiring them before running the wires under the floor. Thanks again.

Dan