What's new

A couple Sonosub Q's (1 Viewer)

FredC

Grip
I'm getting closer to finally building my sonosub. I have a Stryke AV15 and will be powering it with a Rythmik 380w amp. I haven't been able to run the programs on a sonosub to get the size and port length to tune it properly as they seem to all be for boxes? But I had posted here and on Stryke's forum for recommendations for a mostly movies application. John at Stryke suggested a 43" long 24 inch tube, with 22" long flared 6" port. This should tune to 18hz. So I believe I will need 46" of tube, to compensate for the 1.5" endcap depth, bt should I also figure that into the PVC tube lenght for the port? Should I add an extra 1.5" to the 22" that was suggested?

One more question on Mounting the amp. Most of the desighns I have seen have the amp in a separate box connected through a terminal cup. I was thinking of mounting it to the side of the sonotube with a flush mounted enclosure screwed to the tube. Will this work? I don't know how much airflow the amp needs and if it will get too hot if it is in a small box with some air holes.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Fred

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
All the measurements/dimensions calculated by software programs produce are 'net', not 'gross' measurements. As a result one must compensate for things inside the tube ie, endcaps, drivers, ports, etc.

Port lengths are a total length, so if mounted behind the endcaps one subtracts the thickness of the wood. IOW don't exceed the stated 22" length regardless of the construction/mounting technique.

Re the amp, do a search, there was a thread about mounting amps on tube subs not too long ago

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All the measurements/dimensions calculated by software programs produce are 'net', not 'gross' measurements. As a result one must compensate for things inside the tube ie, endcaps, drivers, ports, etc.
Just plug in the net volume needed and the size of the port(s), etc. and the sonosub calculator takes care of the rest.

-Robert

FredC

Grip
Thanks all for the clarifications. I hope that mine comes out near as nice as some of the ones I've seen her, and I'll be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks