A couple questions on Seperates...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArthurJ, Feb 5, 2003.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Hey Guys,

First off I would like to say how helpfull this forum has been...I have a couple questions regarding Seperate amps and I will try to ask in as simple form as possible.

1) When you have a seperate amp will it have a different sound then that of the receivers onboared amp? Im getting a Harman Kardon AVR525 and considering an outboard amp, I like the sound of the H/K and im worried if I get a seperate amp it will change the sound...OR does it still go through the receiver and reproduce the H/K sound?

2) Say I have a seperate amp that does 100 watts x 2 channels...will the wattage of the on board receiver be going to the speakers along with the power from the seperate? So say if my receiver does 70 watts per ch. the the 2 front speakers would be getting 170 watts? correct me if im wrong...

Thanks...

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

With a outboard amp rated at 100wpc you will only have 100wpc available to the speaker it is hooked to. Using your outboard amp disables your recievers amps for the channels the seperate amp is connected to. The sound may or most likely not sound exactly the same, most likely it will be better depending on the amp.

3. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

So that extra 70watts x 2 goes to waste?

4. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Yup

5. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

You could put it other uses such as powering a pair of speakers in another zone.