What's new

A couple questions about these new Hi Def releases (1 Viewer)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
1. Why don't any of the sites selling them list the aspect ratios!? I assume they're all widescreen only, but some of us would actually like to know whether we'd be getting 1.85:1, 2.35:1, etc. I don't see many features listed like DVDs normally have either. Not that I ever really cared about most of that junk; it just seems strange.

2. Are the transfers of Super35 movies the same total crap seen in the old DVD transfers or are they giving us the whole frames now? I mean, if you watch something like Gladiator on VHS then watch the extended cut DVD it's all too obvious that the frames look cut at the top and bottom. Widescreen transfers of other movies look great, but things like Gladiator and Collateral look like the camera was too close; people's heads look chopped off real bad, etc. There are several examples of Super35 movies' of pan & scan frames compared to the widescreen transfers floating around to prove my point. I even saw somewhere that the director(?) of Air Force One prefers the pan & scan transfer because of this.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
1) My site lists the aspect ratio. As for the features, I'm not in the business of transcribing all the gory detail from the box art or the disc itself. Too little time, and too many HD DVD's to watch.
2) I prefer OAR

- Steve

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
1. Lazy.
2. That would be on a title per title bases.

If the director preferred the full frame (not P&S!), the director should have released the film in their preferred aspect ratio.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I'm not interested in getting into a Super-35 debate here, BUT-

While a small portion of COLLATERAL was shot on film, the vast majority of it was shot digitally, and mostly using the Thompson Viper shooting at a native 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I suppose the small amount of actual filmed footage was probably Super-35, and some shots used the Sony 24P HD cameras which need to be matted from 1.78:1 to 2.35:1, but most of COLLATERAL is native 2.35:1 aspect ratio shot using the Thompson Viper.

Vincent

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk

I really don't see how chopping the top and bottom off the original frames is anymore OAR than chopping off the sides. At least pan and scan tries to preserve the RIGHT parts of each frame. If they did that with cropping the top and bottom, the damn things might look alright.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
OAR preserves the theatrical aspect ratio. Get it?

Most home theater enthusiasts, especially those at this forum, want to see movies in their home theaters the way they were presented in movie theaters.

- Steve

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk

and noone cares about seeing the whole bloody frames? In a lot of cases, Super 35 is complete garbage the way they make the transfers, and I'm amazed nobody else can see a problem with it. :frowning:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
People here are interested in seeing the film as it was shown in theaters. You're free to dislike the director's framing choices, but you have no business demanding that the framing be altered to suit you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks