A couple of thoughts about Roger Waters and Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

First of all, I don't intend this thread to turn into a "Roger Waters / David Gilmour is the best" spamfest, OK? [​IMG]
    I couldn't go and see PF on their Division Bell Tour back in '94, something I'll live to regret. But I was able to catch Waters on his 2002 "In the Flesh" Tour. Needless to say, I came out of there feeling as if I had just gone to heaven and back.
    Anyway, time has gone by (almost a year). I now own "PULSE" on VCD and CD. I own "In the Flesh" on DVD and CD (why they never released "PULSE" on DVD will forever be a mistery to me). So after the excitement wore off, and compared both concerts, this is what I ended up thinking.
    * Gilmour's Floyd looks like PF, sounds like PF, and has a light show that was miles ahead of anything I ever hope to see in my life. Roger Waters, unfortunately, sounds like a cover band trying to sound like PF. Which, to some extent, is.
    * Roger Waters' presence is overwhelming while onstage. Gilmour, Mason and Wright seem to hide behind their instruments and let the music and lights do their magic.
    * Gilmour's Floyd has a terrific advantage over Waters. He is the vocalist of PF, so the songs sound more like the original band. Waters chose his vocalist very, very badly - I think he came out sounding too pretentious and boring for his own good. Furthermore, Waters' voice is terribly bad - so bad, in fact, I can't stand to listen to the songs he sings. Plus, his guitarists can't even approach the level of playing Gilmour so effortlessly shows off. All in all, Waters comes off as the less enjoyable musical experience of the two.
    * Waters' solo years are incredible! I never thought I'd like so much his cuts from "Amused to Death".
    * Waters' anger against Gilmour is sometimes undefensible. While Gilmour praises Waters' work on stage, and thanked him every night for his work, Waters only makes some sarcastic comments about PF on the booklet. Sad.
    This discussion is a moot point, since I don't think either group will be touring anytime soon. And I'm very grateful I got to see Waters' on stage (the best concert I've ever seen in my life). I just found it interesting to realize how different Gilmour and Waters ended up down the road.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I like Waters' voice on "Animals", "The Wall", and "The Final Cut". I saw the "Momentary Lapse of Reason" tour and it was very impressive (what I can remember of it - it was some time ago - but I have the LD which is awesome).

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I have mixed feelings for both. I truly desire to hear "The Wall" and "The Final Cut" on Hi-res. Gilmour and waters are both multitalented musicians.

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

IN THE FLESH sounded more like PF to me than when I saw PF during the Momentary tour. PF seemed to hide behind all the flash and hugeness of the stage, while Waters let it all hang out with the music for the FLESH tour. But I tend to lean toward Roger, since he continues to create, while David is letting PF grow stagnant. Just give me some hi rez Floyd and I'll be happy, since I saw both Gilmour's PF and Roger's IN THE FLESH tour in my life.

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Very well said, Javier.

6. Michael St. Clair

I find the sound of the DVD/CD/SACD of 'In the Flesh' to be inferior to what I heard live (which is VERY unusual).
    I think it was engineered like crap and I cannot prevent this from coloring my opinion of the performance.
    The performance I saw of 'In the Flesh' sounded more like Floyd than either of the two 'Gilmore Floyd' shows I saw.

7. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

David/Roger and Pink Floyd has had a huge impact on me. It is almost to where I'm obsessed with the Pink Floyd sound.

With the Post-Waters Floyd, some of the work didn't have that biting tension that was there from "Meddle" to "The Final Cut." However, a great deal of the Post-Waters Floyd stuff was really, really, really good. For example, "Sorrow", "High Hopes", "Wearing The Inside Out", and "Marooned."

On "In The Flesh", if you are trying to tell me that you didn't feel anything at all when you are listening to the final parts of "Perfect Sense Part I and II", then you are lying. That is extremely emotional music my friends. However, the guitar player, Doyle Brahmall, couldn't even hold his own compared to BDG. Snowy White did a pretty good job though however.

Yes, "David Gilmour: In Concert", is absolutely fantastic.

8. Javier_Huerta

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Some comments:

I'm not a fan of RW's solo career. I own all the albums and I only like Radio KAOS.

The backup singers for the '94 tour sucked in comparison to the '88 backup singers. "Great Gig In The Sky" is a joy off of "Delicate Sound Of Thunder". It was downright painful on "Pulse".

It is all a moot point, since Pink Floyd is now a dead issue, as well as RW's solo career.

Jason

10. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Oh, by the way, which one's 'Pink'?

-JNS

11. Javier_Huerta

12. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    sorry if I've misunderstood anything posted here, but my $0.02s:-