What's new

A couple of questons (1 Viewer)

CaseyLS

Second Unit
I just went to the local HT store here in Manhattan and I was able to price some Paradigms for my system I would like to buy around March. I have found the following:
Paradigm CC-70 139.95
Paradigm Phantom 399.95/pair
Cinema 90 199.95/pair.
Total is about $740
First off, when I was reading the paradigm brochure it said in one place all Paradigms are timbre matched while in another it said they are matched with the other speakers in the series. Have any of you mixed and matched series to know if these will sound alright together.

Second, how good are the prices. Should I maybe look some where else or are they good?

My third dilemma concerns a sub woofer. I would like to keep every thing under $1500 if possible. I know this gives me a lot to work with but I don't necessarily have to go all the way to the line. The audio shop has some Def Tech and Paradigm subs so I will be looking at those. Are there any other suggestions? I have considered SVS but since I live in a college dorm and I have to move around quite a bit it would be rather impracticle.

Thanks in advance,
Casey Stoddard

CaseyLS

Second Unit
I read another post about Paradigms and I saw that cabinet could make a difference in price. The ones I am looking at are the standard black wood laminate if that helps at all

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
Those prices look like they're all msrp. Not too familiar with any of the items, but that would be my guess.
Some recommedations. The Phantoms are a nice pair of mains, but I suggest spending a bit more on everything else. Paradigm recommends using the cc-270 with the Phantom, but I think you would be perfectly OK with the CC-170, which is $60 more than the CC-70. Definitely get the 170 at the very least.
Secondly, I recommend grabbing the Atom (same price as Cinema 90) or the Titan (20 bucks more) for surround duty. Unless you need to utilize the small Cinemas in your room, the Atom and especially the Titan are much better speakers, even if they are only used for surround duty (I've talked to many people who have used the titan as their mains - its a very good speaker!).
So that gives you:
$400 - Phantoms
200-300 - CC-170 or CC-270
200-220 - Atom or Titans
That leaves just enough room for an SVS 25-31 or 20-39 PCi :D
P.S. The difference in cabinet for the speaker only matters (price anyway) for the Reference line.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Thanks for the ideas, though I think the SVS won't be something I get for awhile. I didn't realize the Titans and Atoms could be had for so cheap.

I can get a Paradigm sub for 300-400 dollars so i think I will go that route.

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
Don't cut yourself short on the sub. Without going used, the only Paradigm sub in that range is the PDR-10, which is an ok sub IMO. Way too pricey for what it is. I can't help but say go SVS :D. The 25-31 PCi sells for $549.99 + $20-30 bucks for shipping. That fits in your $1500 range. If thats too much for you, you can grab another great price/performance sub in the Hsu VTF-2, which sells for $449.99.
I hate to see someone get a decent HT setup but get cheap on the sub. Its really worth the extra money to get something that you won't have buyer's remorse or want to upgrade it a year from now.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Yeah dude let me explain myself,

I somehow managed to skip over the PCi seriesand the cheapest I could find was 750 or something like that. My bad. That would make it into my price range and would fit nicely with my system, So I guess an SVS would be a good choice.

/whips out calculator

Okay with Phantom's/CC-170/Titans/SVS=1420

I am estimating high by going with the Titans and $50 shipping for the sub. I also think I will be able to get the guy at AJ to come down on the Paradigm's a little bit. Hell he knocked 100 bucks off my Marantz 4200 with very little pressure.

Thanks again Nick, especially for pointing out my error with the SVS. I think with the extra time I am working over Christmas break I will have enough saved up to buy the SVS by January.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks