a couple of questions regarding the Panasonic 700...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob Michaw, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

I am looking at replacing my Sony 46" set. I am sitting 7.5' from my screen now, but would be around 11-12'. from the projection screen (screen would be around 96"). My ceiling is around 7'. My room is roughly 20' long. I am thinking I would need the projector around 3-4' behind me.

How is that going to be for fan noise? How is the image going to be for SDE? I have thought about going to a large DLP or LCD 62" variety and keeping my viewing distance at 8', but from 8' I can see pixel structure almost on every set (at least in my budget). My budget for screen, cables, mount and projector is under $4k Cdn. I am not ready to jump yet, but I want to start looking more seriously and start comparing and feeling my way around. The concept of projector is very appealing to me as I am in a dedicated room with total sound and light control. I would like as large a viewing angle as possible. It would also be great to get my center speaker at a lower lever (more in-line with its front channel siblings' tweeters). Those are reasons I am interested in the projector route.

Pricewise/HT impact, I am sure I would be getting a good bang for my buck. I am a very anal person, and I am sure a loud fan or apparent SDE would bug me to no end. If I can't escape it, I suppose I could always wait longer :p)

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    HI rob
    not sure you can do a panny 700 for 4000 in Canada? I did one for a friend in Nova Scotia at Christmas time but that was with US gear.
    He had limited space and wanted a big picture so that is why we went with the 700 FP unit. He is at 8 feet back and has a 65 gray Carada screen. It looks great. The PJ is about 3 feet above his head.
    If you are going for a longer throw distance and bigger image just do a simple defocus if the SDE is bothersome to you.
    Hope this helped.

Gregg

3. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

Gregg,

Does this mean what I think? SDE can be reduced by putting your picture out of focus?...help me with that.

Thanks
    Rick

4. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

How long is too long of a throw? I don't want SDE to be a bother...which if I notice it, I am sure it will be. How far back vs. how small a screen will I need to be able to have it NOT be a problem?

5. David_Giles

David_Giles Stunt Coordinator

Hi Rob, i too am in Winnipeg and buying a Benq PE770 and a 106" screen, all for the same budget($4,000) If you care to private message me i'll tell ya where i got the prices.

6. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

Rob, I have quite a bit of experience with this projector so I can hopefully be of some assistance.

The panasonic PT-AE700U and my Draper onyx m1300 106" screen cost me 4800$ cdn. approx. 6 months ago.This of course is in the southern ontario market where competition can usually mean an overall better deal than winnipeg but this is only speculation.

The mount was 250$ and cables I already had. The HDMI connection is what I run so that cable will be expensive if you need a long cable run. Probably between 150$ to over 300$. You could always run component cables initially until you decide otherwise.

Not everyone needs a premium screen and there are many manufacturers which you could save some money. You definitely could buy a fixed screen and projector for under your intended budget.

Fan noise on this unit is almost irrelevant in the low lamp setting provided your room is kept reasonably cool. This has a lot to do with the fan running at higher than normal speed. I have my projector directly over my head and I do not notice it at all. Just like anything else in life you tend to adjust to things in a little time. I have measured my fan decibel level at a paltry 24db. This is as quiet as they get.

I should make one thing clear here about your concern about fan noise. All projectors exhibit some fan noise. You are probably used to the quiet images eminating from your flat screen displays and should be a little flexible in your expectations. The projector will be very quiet but not "dead" quiet. If yoy want "dead" quiet, pass on the projector idea or build a 'hush" box around the unit. Just be carefull to provide adequate ventilation. Excess heat is the killer of all projectors especially for lamp life. Just to let you know that the panny has a rated lamp life in "low mode" of up to 5000 hours but this is only a rated specification.

All projectors in the 720p class exhibit screen door to some effect. I owned a sharp 12000 dlp projector in the past and I could not sit as close to it as my panasonic without seeing some screen door in high contrast scenes.This should tell you just how well this projector performs in my opinion. It literally has been the best projector I have ever owned for close viewing distances.

You will never have to run this projector de-focused especially from a 12' viewing distance on a 96" screen. I sit 14' back from a 106" screen and the picture is solid in my opinion.

Your totally light controlled room and smaller screen will provide a fantastic viewing experience.

A 720p DLP projector will be at least another 1000$ over the LCD unit. I am rainbow sensitive so that is why I had to go the LCD route. I am not saying that LCD is better, but that it is an alternative.

If you need more info. then just ask.

20'x14' dedicated theater
    Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD projector
    Draper onyx m1300 106" tension screen
    Anthem avm30 pre-pro
    Rotel rb 1095 5 channel amp
    Rotel rb 1080 2 channel amp
    Paradigm reference speaker system
    HTPC 1 to 1 pixel mapped

[​IMG]

7. trevis_h

trevis_h Auditioning

I just got the AE700 less than 3 months ago for $2500, plus a spare lamp, and a ceiling mount. Total bill with GST was under $3500 CDN (No PST in Alberta [​IMG]). I bought material from DaLite and built a frame.

$4000 is vary do-able for this projector.

My room is 12'x18' with the first row at 11' (viewing distance). SDE is very minimal. I can see it when I look for it but if I'm into what I'm watching then I don't see it. My back row at 16' is right under the projector. The fan noise in HIGH fan mode (want to extend the life of the lamp) is non-existent. But then again, I usualy run the theater at over 85db. Loud and Large I always say!