1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

a couple of questions concerning SVS subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carl Philip, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Carl Philip

Carl Philip Agent

hello guys
    i´m having a paradigm PS-1200 at the moment, and i´m thinking about upgrading to a SVS 25-31 CS. so first of all, will there be a big improvement?
    maybe i´ll go for a 25-31 custom-tuned to around 20-22Hz (i saw some other guy here on the forum that bought a custom-tuned SVS 25-31 sub).
    and second, do B&W 603 speakers mix well with a 25-31 sub?
    my room has the size that follows (lenght, width, height): 5 * 3.5 * 3 metres (about 17 * 12 * 10 feet i believe)
    thanks in advance
    /Carl Philip

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Carl,
    The 25-31cs would have more clean output >25hz than the ps1200...but it might not be a day/night difference to you as the ps1200 is actually a pretty good woof.
    How well the subwoofer blends with your full range speakers will largely depend on the crossover used,sub placement and calibration methods.(in other words...if you nail the location/calibration...it will work fine [​IMG] )
    In 2000 cu-ft, you need to decide what you're looking for from the subwoofer upgrade. If you want reference level capabilties...a single 20-31cs probably won't do it for you. Also...what brands are available locally for you? You might be better off going with something like a PW2200 or servo15 by the time shipping is factored into the SVS price,
    TV

3. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Tom.
    Do you guys ever sleep???? Or take a day off????
    [​IMG]
    -- John
    ------------------

4. Carl Philip

Carl Philip Agent

thanks for the response [​IMG]
    but i don´t want to play movies at reference level (75dB right?)..my neighbours would never allow that [​IMG]
    what i want is a sub that can play all the way down to 20Hz (which the ps-1200 can´t do..). what is the right choice for me then? the servo-15 is impossible to get in sweden, the only way to get one is if you find one second-hand.
    what would i benefit most from - a 20-39CS or a custom-tuned 25-31CS?
    a lot of questions for ya [​IMG]

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Just to add, in addition to the added output, I think the SVS would also sound much better than the PS-1200. When I've heard it, I've found the Paradigm to sound a bit "boomy", which I've found with other bandpass designs. The "Low-Q" SVS should have a distinct advantage there.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. Carl Philip

Carl Philip Agent

Jack: you´re right, that´s another reason why i wanna upgrade. the PS-1200 gets really boomy in the scenes in U-571 with the depth-charges. [​IMG]

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

If added extension is the priority over added volume...the 20-39cs/pc would be the way to go(compared to the 25-31s). Of course the 16-46s extend even deeper than the 20-39s.
    If you're pretty sure you'll be sticking with a single SV for a while...I'd go with a 16-46PC or a 20-39PC. If you feel there could be a second SVS in your future...then you should consider something like the single 20-39cs/S700 combo. This would allow an inexpensive upgrade path when you're ready for the second unit.Given your listen habits though...I'm thinking a single SV will likely suffice,
    TV

8. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

I have B&W and they blend very well.

9. Carl Philip

Carl Philip Agent

Shanti: thanks, that´s great news for me [​IMG]
    Tom: yeah you´re right, maybe i should go for a 20-39CS instead. the 16-46 sounds like overkill for me [​IMG] (does it? hmm..we´ll see about that when i place my order)
    i just saw that the cost difference between the 25-31 and the 20-39 wasn´t that big, so i guess a 20-39CS is the way to go for me.
    i have a 120wpc 4ohm pioneer receiver that i´m not using at the moment, so i´m thinking about using it as amplification. i hope it is sufficient [​IMG]

10. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

I've tested the PS-1000 but not the PS-1200. I own the 25-31PC now.
    I found the PS-1000 bass laggy for music. It's much nicer on the SVS. I also love the Paradigm Servo-15, but I've never tested that one in my home because the shape of the thing was not really appropriate for my place.
    My room setup is not ideal, but with a bit of help from an equalizer, my 25-31PC does well to about 23-24 Hz according to my Radio Shack meter. After that it drops off fairly quickly (as expected).
    I never did measure the PS-1000's bass extension, but the bass quality made it irrelevant because I was not happy with its sound.
    EDIT:
    BTW, Tod,
    Do you think I would benefit from a custom tuned port for my 25-31PC? My room has a stairwell near the sub and an air duct above it [​IMG] so it definitely isn't ideal. As alluded to above I have to push up the low end bass around 25-35 Hz with my equalizer and decrease the gain up above that. I'm not so much interested in lower extension, but perhaps a flatter response. And how much does a custom port "colour" the sound?
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack .
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on October 22, 2001 at 01:53 PM]