A Couple Of Questions About Panny PT-47WX42

Discussion in 'Displays' started by kelvin s, May 25, 2003.

1. kelvin s

kelvin s Extra

Hello All,

I just purchased a panny pt-47wx42 from my local rextv store this past thursday. I`ve got roughly 50-60 hours of break in time on this set so far. My question is what color temp and picture mode should i select before i use my avia calibration disc?

My choices[​IMG]ICTURE MODE
    vivid
    cinema
    normal

COLOR TEMP
    normal
    warm
    cool

I know these question my seem elementary to most of you,but i`m afraid that if i set the color temp and mode wrong,then i won`t get an accurate setup with my avia disc.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated and put to use,THANKS!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'm planning on getting this model myself.

As a rule, avoid any picture modes called "Vivid"; the color temp will be at the bluest of blues, the "sharpness" cranked up, and the contrast running at maximum. Everything will look like something out of cheesy 1960s LSD movie.

I would consider the "Movie" mode.

Nearly all Japanese manufacturers defaut the "Warm" color-temp setting somewhat close to the NTSC D6,500 standard, so select that as your starting point for calibrating the user menu-accessible picture settings.

You have reduced the contrast setting, haven't you?

3. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I would select warm for the color temp. For the picture mode, it really doesn't matter. What differs from one another is the user settings for color, tint, shaprness, brightmess and contrast, and since you'll be moving those when you adjust with the avia disc, so it really doesn't matter which one you chose. Hope that helps.

Hugo

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Actually, the different picture modes will likely have different internal settings (and thus characteristics like Jack mentioned). However, the exact differences may vary from unit to unit. If you're good w/ the service menu, you can probably adjust all the picture modes to have the same exact characteristics. In fact, some people prefer to keep all their user level settings at default and adjust the service level settings for calibration.

The nice thing about the 3 picture modes on the Panny's is that they can store individual user level settings. So you can calibrate them to be the same at service level and then adjust user level accordingly for whatever video source.

FYI, the color temp setting is independent of the picture modes and apply to all modes, etc. The picture modes deal w/ the basic calibration items, ie. Color, Tint, Picture (Contrast), Brightness, Sharpness.

_Man_

5. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I would set the color temp to Normal, not Warm. If you set the temp to Warm you'll notice that blacks will take on a reddish tone.

I've got the PT-53wx52 and keep it on Normal temp.

6. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

7. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    As I understand it, "red push" has nothing to do w/ grayscale. Maybe what's happening w/ the Panny's is that the dark end of the grayscale is simply too red compared to the rest of the grayscale. But that's NOT red push. Red push is where reds (not grays) are too hot/oversaturated/blooming. The fix would be different between these 2 problems.

_Man_

9. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

Agree