What's new

A Couple Of Questions About Panny PT-47WX42 (1 Viewer)

kelvin s

Grip
Hello All,

I just purchased a panny pt-47wx42 from my local rextv store this past thursday. I`ve got roughly 50-60 hours of break in time on this set so far. My question is what color temp and picture mode should i select before i use my avia calibration disc?

My choices:PICTURE MODE
vivid
cinema
normal

COLOR TEMP
normal
warm
cool

I know these question my seem elementary to most of you,but i`m afraid that if i set the color temp and mode wrong,then i won`t get an accurate setup with my avia disc.
Any help will be greatly appreciated and put to use,THANKS!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm planning on getting this model myself.

As a rule, avoid any picture modes called "Vivid"; the color temp will be at the bluest of blues, the "sharpness" cranked up, and the contrast running at maximum. Everything will look like something out of cheesy 1960s LSD movie.

I would consider the "Movie" mode.

Nearly all Japanese manufacturers defaut the "Warm" color-temp setting somewhat close to the NTSC D6,500 standard, so select that as your starting point for calibrating the user menu-accessible picture settings.

You have reduced the contrast setting, haven't you?

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I would select warm for the color temp. For the picture mode, it really doesn't matter. What differs from one another is the user settings for color, tint, shaprness, brightmess and contrast, and since you'll be moving those when you adjust with the avia disc, so it really doesn't matter which one you chose. Hope that helps.

Hugo

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Actually, the different picture modes will likely have different internal settings (and thus characteristics like Jack mentioned). However, the exact differences may vary from unit to unit. If you're good w/ the service menu, you can probably adjust all the picture modes to have the same exact characteristics. In fact, some people prefer to keep all their user level settings at default and adjust the service level settings for calibration.

The nice thing about the 3 picture modes on the Panny's is that they can store individual user level settings. So you can calibrate them to be the same at service level and then adjust user level accordingly for whatever video source.

FYI, the color temp setting is independent of the picture modes and apply to all modes, etc. The picture modes deal w/ the basic calibration items, ie. Color, Tint, Picture (Contrast), Brightness, Sharpness.

_Man_

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I would set the color temp to Normal, not Warm. If you set the temp to Warm you'll notice that blacks will take on a reddish tone.

I've got the PT-53wx52 and keep it on Normal temp.

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
I would set the color temp to Normal, not Warm. If you set the temp to Warm you'll notice that blacks will take on a reddish tone.
Well, I believe that depends on wether you have your graysacle correctly and have red push fix.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, I believe that depends on wether you have your graysacle correctly and have red push fix.
Correct, but he said he just purchased it and it's right out of the box. From his post it doesn't sound like he's going to be attempting any red push fix or grayscale any time soon.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
As I understand it, "red push" has nothing to do w/ grayscale. Maybe what's happening w/ the Panny's is that the dark end of the grayscale is simply too red compared to the rest of the grayscale. But that's NOT red push. Red push is where reds (not grays) are too hot/oversaturated/blooming. The fix would be different between these 2 problems.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks