A couple of questions about Cleopatra...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Adams, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    What was the state of the prints/negatives prior to its 1995 restoration? And also, what have they found, in regards to deleted scenes from the 6 hour long version?

2. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The elements were always in good shape. The restoration needed was not major. Also, Todd AO sound was always, in its day, considered among the best. The documentary included with the film talks about the extra footage. Originally the idea was to possibly put out two films, Cleo and Caesar (Julius, not Sid) and Cleo and Antony. Because 20th was literally on the verge of bankruptcy, the final version was basically a combination of both. If I remember correctly, the unsued footage would need work if it could be found. The cost of doing this and putting out a second film, or better yet, re-editing all the footage into two films would be prohibitive I'm afraid. Perhaps we can ask memmbers to contribute some $$ as we did for the server. [​IMG]

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I honestly do think that if Fox could find the footage they'd do it

4. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    You know, I thought the reason Darryl Zanuck gave for editing Cleopatra down was stupid. The Caeser and Cleopatra and Antony and Cleopatra relases proabaly would have gotten Cleopatra to break much faster then it eventually did.

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

On the documentary that appears on disc 3, it is stated that the reason for making one big Cleopatra film rather than 2 separate ones was to capitalize on Liz Taylor's romance with Richard Burton. Their love affair was the biggest Hollywood love story at the time. Mr. Burton appears in about five minutes of the first half of the film. If Cleo & Antony had been made into a separate film, its release would have followed the first film by at least six months. Fox had no idea if they would still be an item that far into the future and the opportunity to capitalize on the real-life love affair would have been lost.

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Rob is right. But there were money problems as well. 20th didn't have any.