1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

A couple Infocus X1 questions....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nick Montgomery, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Nick Montgomery

Hi all,

I was thinking about getting the X1 and was wondering if anyone knows if it is getting close to being discontinued? If so, heard anything about it's replacement?

--Nick

2. mckenzig

mckenzig Extra

It has been rumored that the new X1 will be cheaper, but lose the faroudja (sp?) processor that makes DVDs and TV look so good. If you want it for home theater, it's best to buy the current model - otherwise you'll need to look at Infocus's ScreenPlay models.
    Cheers,
    Grant

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

You may also want to consider the Panny 200, Epson S1 or the Sanyo PLV-Z1....just depends on what you want it for .

4. Nick Montgomery

I will mainly be using it to watch DVDs on it. I may use it to watch a few TV shows a week. Depends on how my cable signal looks through it.

I am a little concerned on the distance I will be sitting back from the screen. Only about 9 feet. Do you think that is far enough?

Also, it will be ceiling mounted directly above my head. I hoping fan noise won't be a problem.

Almost forgot, I will also have a Playstation 2 that I would love to use on it. Do you guys see any problems I might have with that?

--Nick

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

What size room, how big of a screen do you want, do you want 16:9 native or 4:3 native.....

6. Nick Montgomery

The room is roughly 12x14. 12 being the seating/view width. I will be keeping my entertainment center with my 36" tube for my daughter's TV watching. So the screen will be a pull down from the ceiling in front of the e-center. So that gives me roughly 9 feet from projector to screen. With a 4:3 screen size of 60-70 inches. The projector will be mounted on the ceiling directly above the sofa. This is the only way I would be able to set it up. Do you think this set up would work for the X1 or any of those other PJs you mentioned?

As far as aspect ratio, I think I am leaning more towards 4:3.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Nick, if your mainly going to watch DVD's why are you leaning towards a native 4:3?

With a 16:9 screen here's what you'd get, diagonally at 9'

X1 = 54"
    Z1 = 73"
    200u = 74"

With your short distance, your much better off with a PJ that has a short throw lens. The bigger the screen for HT the better.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. Nick Montgomery

Ron-P... Well, thats what I originally thought. I was worried about bulb life. But I just know when I get this thing I am going to want to watch everything on it. Which would be about 10 hours of TV and 6 hours of movies a week. Providing I get 3000 hours out of the bulb, that would be more than 3 years of bulb life. I can handle 300 bucks every 3 years. I probably would end up upgrading before then anyways. [​IMG]

--Nick

9. Will*M

Will*M Extra

Hey anyone out there notice any "rainbow" artifacts? I sent an email to InFocus directly and the guy said it was normal. just wanted to see and compare wityh other owners. ALso if you did notice, how did you rectify the problem?

Thanks for any help

Will*M[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I have a quick question. Every single website that has the "specs" of the X1 all state that you can set it to a 16x9 mode. I'm assuming that if you set it this way, it will act like a widescreen TV and have gray bars on the left and right side of the screen when watching 4:3 material. Am I correct in my assumption? If you could set it to 16x9 permantely I'd leave it like that, and build a proper 16x9 screen for it instead of a 4:3 screen.

11. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Mitch:
    16:9 mode on the X1 simply performs a "horizontal stretch" on the [anamorphically compressed] source material. To use it properly, you tell your DVD player that you have a 16:9 video display, then choose 16:9 mode on the X1. The result is about the best image you'll get from anamorphic DVD's on the X1. Just remember that the X1 is an 800x600 fixed pixel DLP display. No matter what setting you select for the projected image, you still only have 800 pixels horizontally across the width of your screen to work with.

I mostly use my X1 for anamorphic DVD. As such, I have built a 16:9 fixed DIY screen. My setup is such that anamorphic DVD at 1.85:1 AR fills 100% of the screen (800 pixels wide x ~432 pixels high). Of course this means that are ~84 "dark" pixels above the image & 84 below (432+84+84=600). These simply fall off my screen on to the wall behind. Any source material with an AR wider than 1.85:1 displays top/bottom bars on my screen.

I do, on occasion watch 4:3 NTSC TV material. IIRC, I set the X1 for "Native" resolution and slightly adjust the zoom. With this config., I will fill the screen vertically, and have dark bars on the left/right of the image.

FYI ... my X1 is ceiling mounted, approximately 12.5 ft from the screen. I'm projecting on a 8 ft diagonal screen ~(84"w x 45"h).

Will*M:
    Your question regarding "DLP rainbows" is a bit like asking a group of serious hunters if they've ever noticed that there are sometimes animals in the woods.

Put simply, the vast majority of those who have fully evaluated the X1 (or any DLP PJ w/ a 1x color wheel), have seen rainbow artifacting, but find it to be so insignificant, compared to the incredible price/performance of this unit, they could care less. You can put me in this category. Of course, there will always be a very vocal minority that find themselves looking so hard for rainbows, they find they can't enjoy the movie. Most of these people have traded to a LCD projector, but continue to berate (1x) DLP. Every technology has its strengths & weaknesses. Personally, I love the "punchy" colors & high contrast ratio of DLP and dislike the lower pixel "fill ratio" (i.e. screen-door effect) of LCD.
    To each his own.

12. Phil_Lunar

Phil_Lunar Stunt Coordinator

Weel since this is a X1 question tread, I will post mine here :

I will have a X1 soon and I got a Panasonic RP-62 DVD player(with a faroudja chip)

so I am wondering : should I feed my X1 with interlaced signal(through the component to S-video adaptor) and let the X1 chip handle the de-interlacing, or should I feed it my DVD player progressive signal through the Component to VESA adaptor?

I am just wondering witch adapter I should order?

13. mckenzig

mckenzig Extra

"Nick, if your mainly going to watch DVD's why are you leaning towards a native 4:3?"

I actually prefer the 4:3 X1 since I use the projector for everything. When watching TV or TV on DVD, I have a huge 100" diagonal (80" horizontal) image that fills the screen. When I switch to widescreen DVD, I still have a nice 80" horizontal image, but simply add black bars to top and bottom. For PS2 use, the image would be the full 100" diagonal. A widescreen projector and screen would give me the same DVD size, but make my regular TV much smaller.
    Just one opinion.
    Cheers,
    Grant

14. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Phil ... The Panny RP-62 uses the Genesis [Faroudja] FLI2200 chip. The is the identical de-interlacer as in the present X1. If the above-stated rumors are true and InFocus is planning a cheaper X1 without Faroudja processing ... you could save some $$$ by waiting.

The below is taken from the EXCELLENT Unofficial X1 FAQ ... para 6.3.1

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

16. Nick Montgomery

Well, I think I am going to go down to my local Best Buy and get an X1. First making sure I can return it without any penalties if I don't like it. Hopefully they have one in stock.

Will a white flat sheet be a sufficient temporary screen?

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Nick, if you've got a white wall, that will work just as well, but a sheet is fine. Just try and stretch it out tight to avoid wrinkles.

I believe BB has a good return policy on the PJ. I look forward to your opinion. Once up and shooting, be ready to catch your jaw. [​IMG]

Peace Out~[​IMG]

18. Nick Montgomery

[​IMG] Just my luck. BB did not have an X1 in stock. And their website is out of stock also. The guy said it would be weeks before they get one in.

I guess I will try that free evaluation thing. This is killing me. I want to try this thing out sooo bad. [​IMG]

--Nick

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Nick, I went through Infocus directly with my purchase, trial run and return. They were great to deal with and once you order you should get your PJ within days.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

20. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Ron,

I have a question regarding the return of the X1. When they sent it to you, did they also send you a box for to you return it in, or did you have to find a seperate box for it. Did you also have to go to the fed-ex company to ship it out from there?