What's new

A couple building questions.... (1 Viewer)

BrianKR

Second Unit
I have a couple questions that might sound stupid but I don’t want to make any mistakes when building this room. :)

I have a 12inch ceiling I need to insulate. To save money I was going to double up on R-19 instead of using R-38. IS there any disadvantage to doing this?

When double drywalling, do you tape and joint compound the first layer of drywall before installing the second layer?

The Lowes and Home Depot in my area don't carry/stock sound board. Is there something I can use that will serve the same purpose?

Home Depot has a product called Homosate (it looks like compressed paper) but the salesperson at the Pro desk recommending my not using it.

What device/product (remote control if possible) can I purchase to control all of the lighting in my HT room? I am going to have 4 different light sources.

MikeWh

Second Unit
My 2cents:
What device/product (remote control if possible) can I purchase to control all of the lighting in my HT room? I am going to have 4 different light sources.
I assume you mean by "4 different light sources" that you mean you'd like to control the 4 different sources independently of each other. If so, there are several common routes. I preferred to go with IR remote control (X-10 is another common route), so that I could program macros into my currently existing IR learning remotes. I chose Lutron's Spacer controllers.

Some links:
http://www.lutron.com/lutron/
http://www.smarthome.com/
http://www.hometheaterstore.com/light.htm

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
When double drywalling, do you tape and joint compound the first layer of drywall before installing the second layer?
You can, but it is not necessary. I hung 1/2" for the first layer (vertically) and then a second layer of 5/8" (horizontally). I only mudded and taped the top layer.

Peace Out~:D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
That is a very cool dimmer. I just got off the phone with them and he said the price is going up to $69. Home Depot is picking them up so get'em while there cheap.

Peace Out~:D

BrianKR

Second Unit
Thx for the info everyone...
keep it coming if you have more.

I miss quoted the R-38 in my notes. I had the price for 24inch wide batts not 16inch. I am going to go with R-38.

I have been comparison shopping with products trying to save every dollar I can. I still have to allow money for seating and carpeting :frowning:
(I just got back from shopping for carpeting and seating) I am very undecided on which direction to go for seating and lighting, I am set on my carpet decision "now".

Also, I am going to give the remote dimmers at davidsteele.com a shot, thx for the link on them. I am ordering 3 of them to see how they work. Worst case scenario I give them to friends if I don't like them.

Ron-P,
That is a really neat concept/location for your HT room! :emoji_thumbsup: Where did you get your seating?

RonnieT

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone try those dimmers from davidsteele.com yet? Been looking for dimmers and these seem like a good bet. Thanks for the link Bob. I do have one stupid question about them though. It says on their website:
"High-Performance dimmer with 4 channel remote control (allows "ganged" or side-by-side installation!)"
Does this mean that the 4 channels are dim up, dim down, on, and off. Or does this mean that it can control 4 different lighting zones? I believe it's the latter but i just need clarification. I plan on having 3 different lighting zones so this means I need to buy 3 dimmers and gang them...correct?

RonnieT

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone is interested in these, they are being sold on ebay for $29.99 (5 cents more) but with free shipping from the same company. I just ordered 3 of them.

BrianKR

Second Unit
Thx for the heads up Ronnie.
I bought a set of them to see how well they work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks