What's new

A Conversation with Universal Studios Home Entertainment (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I think it does for one reason, and that is becuase people exspect HD titles to be as cheap as SD-DVD's! And unlike Laserdisc at the time it to was a nich market as well. And HD is nothing more than a nich product at this time. And unless consumers embrase at least one format and support it. It to will end up being a nich format that may just end up dead just like Laserdisc. Granted DVD helped kill it off with titles that where cheaper and of good quality, oh ya and you did not have to flip the disc over. :laugh:

Most people have been spoiled by the cheap prices of SD-DVD and many of them never ended up paying top dollar for laserdisc releases! I have no problem with the prices right now but I would exspect them to start dropping in the near future. I do not dismiss the opinion that the combo discs are most likely ment to maximize profit. If you where running a company and could put a product on the shelf that took up 1/2 space. Wouldn't you consider it and offer it over pressing and shipping twice the product? And considering that its a very small mark up its not like you are paying for two retail copies of the movie. And if you have kids and you have a DVD copy of a movie allready. Then if you where to buy a combo disc and the kids destroy the dvd version you will still have the combo version with the dvd side you only paid $5 instead of going out and buying it at full retail. I also see it as a big plus for people that do not have HD-DVD at this time. Because as they indirectly build up a HD collection and if HD-DVD wins the format war. They may decide to go out and buy that HD-DVD player and they allready own a good size HD collection allready. Someone can allways say they do not want the dvd version of the movie because they allready own it. But if that is the way HD-DVD is going to move towards. And someone does not like it then there is allways the Blu-ray option that only offers one HD version on there discs and no SD-DVD version at all. This is the best way that HD-DVD can try to bring the average consumer to there format eventually. I can see why they are doing it, if someone has the HD titles they will eventually brake down and buy the player to watch them. If a consumer is buying combo discs and own a HDTV allready. Once they own a large number of HD-DVD combos and the price of the players come down, why not buy a HD-DVD player. This is all assuming that HD-DVD wins the format war or last long enough for consumers to justify the player becuase the indirectly purchased the HD titles.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I second Dave's post. I think he hit the nail on the head. I don't think any studios are releasing combo discs because they can soak you for a few extra dollars, they see it as a value added service--allowing people without HD to build up a library now, and allowing people to play it back in their legacy players, that's their motivation. I'm sure they think it will lead to added revenue, that that revenue will come from giving the "mainstream" DVD/HD DVD consumer something they want or value. If it was about soaking you for a few dollars they would leave off the plain DVD layer and price it at $39.99 like some other studios! I realize that some people don't like the DVD layer, but like it or not it is one of the selling points of HD DVD. I think the studios have to get smarter with how they use and promote these discs. The upcoming Star Trek original series release is a good example of this.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I second your second, or third his first:) . I happen to like Combo's. I travel a lot, and it allows me to make a single purchase on a new release and view them at home in HD or on my portable while traveling.

Enough said on Combo's, how about the follow up promised by Universal with additional release info? Any word when that might be coming?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well Dave and Adam (EDIT: and Thomas), we'll just have to agree to disagree on combos. IMO you guys are way too trusting of these huge media corporations and their motivations. :D For me it goes back to the simple fact that combos cost me more money to buy and the studios that release titles exclusively on them are NOT giving me any choice in the matter if I want that title. In my book that's anything BUT consumer friendly.

I also think don't think either high-def format is ever going to be widely adopted by the "mainstream" consumer. Depending on how the format war eventually shakes out, we're going to end up with one or two HD disc products that are sold to a good sized niche, but they will end up being niche products nonetheless. From my experience the average consumer really isn't that interested in the technology.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Oh make no mistake they are in the business to make money. And I do not trust corporations to do anything for anyone but themselves. But I do see combos being a good thing if HD-DVD is to survive and win the format war. I own HD-DVD, but I am also buying Blu-ray as well. And I would personally rather see Blu-ray win this war. Granted if HD-DVD happens to win thats good to and I will already own the player and all I will end up doing is buying all HD-DVD.

I hope that HD does not end up as a nitch market and I hope that consumers jump on board and support the new HD format. When HD first came out IMHO most consumers did not care. But after seeing what HD really is and seeing how great it looks more and more people are buying HDTV's. The growth of sales show that more people than ever are willing to invest in a HDTV. Its only a matter of time till they will invest into a HD player to take advantage to that HDTV. And more channels will also become available on dish and cable.

Granted this format war has had a negative affect on the introduction of a HD disc format. If there would have been only one format the average consumer would have most likely accepted it faster than they are currently. Is this a fact, no but you never know how successful any product will be until its been out on the market for a decent length of time.

Combos are also good for retailers as it takes up less shelf space. Something that is in short supply at many retailers. I respect our view on the combo issue and realize that not everyone wants to have a SD-DVD copy forced on them when all they want is the HD version of the movie. Especially if the allready have a copy of the SD-DVD sitting in there movie library. The combo discs will ether help save HD-DVD or it will help sink it, only time will tell.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

You are of course right that the choice has been taken away from you as a consumer. But to be honest, that choice was taken away the second the studios decided to go exclusive:angry: .

Rolando

Screenwriter
what bothers me (about combos) is that they cannot say this is to get HD in the hands of the average customer. If that is the case then why not just release a combo disc? Don't get me wrong, I would be just as upset by this but I would love to hear their reasoning.

I would understand their advantage to going combo only. With just one type of disc to make that would indeed reduce their costs and heck even reduce consumer confusion. "Don't think about it, just buy it, whether you have SD or HD, you can watch this movie!".

However they won't do that yet. Why? Because they want to give SD buyers a choice to pay less if they only want the SD-DVD.

So then why are we getting the shaft? Why don't we get a choice?

How about a combo and a non-combo HD on release day? If you want SD get the combo. You can play it now AND will be able to later. you already have HD? get the HD-DVD only. Heck if you want to play it on all your players, get the combo too, you can pay the extra for that. But the HD only guys don't want/need to "history proof" their purchase by getting an SD side.

The more I am typing the more I think this would be a great solution.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The Digital Bits is reporting today in their Rumor Mill:

Universal - Children of Men (4/3), Smokin' Aces (4/17), The Hitcher (4/27 - yes, a Friday - from Rogue Pictures).

Universal indicated that they would be doing HD DVD day and date so I think it is safe to assume that these will be available in HD DVD. From what I hear a lot of work went into the special features for Children of Men, so it will be worth checking out.

Universal has been tied up with their last announcement over the past several days and is trying to still iron out the details for their next one. As soon as I hear anything that I can pass along I will.....

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

I am not trusting, and making money is not only a motivation for them, but an obligation to their shareholders (of which I am one). What my point was was that if they just wanted to soak you for a few extra dollars they would NOT have put the DVD layer on and would have just raised the price like other studios have done. By adding the DVD layer on, they figure that they can offer something that most customers value, and won't mind paying for. Universal in particular sees the combo as a feature that they feel most customers want. I think they have done a poor job selling it to the masses. Like I said earlier, I would like them to be able to get to the point where they just release a combo, and not a standard DVD. The economy of scale would hopefully lower the price to be equal with a standard DVD while putting HD content in the hands of the masses which over time would translate to hardware sales.

OK I'm not talking about combo discs, because there are a lot of people here who like them, who hate them and even some who don't care. I will agree with everyone here on that point, and agree to disagree with those who are willing on the rest of the combo points.

Mike.P

Second Unit
Tim, you know I'm right behind ya on exclaiming that YES!

Now to only hope its not a combo disc. Either way, they have my money.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Have they? It's worth remembering that as much as combos are slagged around here, we're not "the masses". Universal has continually increased the percentage of their HD-DVD production that is combo discs, and unless we presume that they're stupid, I figure the logical explanation is that combo discs sell well enough that the $5 premium offsets people who refuse to buy them as a matter of principle or feel that particular movie is worth $20 but not $25.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As small as the current market is for HD DVDs, I think those that frequent this forum and others like it are a big segment of the current masses. This format is still very much a niche market being driven by HT enthusiasts such as ourselves.

Crawdaddy

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
COMBO'S are not costing any more than the latest Disney BD's (CHICAGO, LADDER 49, CASANOVA etc.)which are $34.00 and Fox (BROKEN ARROW, ENTRAPMENT, THE MARINE etc.) which are $39 and have no or little supplements. Quite frankly I do not understand why there is such an uproar. I've been very happy with the HD DVD titles so far; and if some are combos fine, they are combos. There is no way I would have passed up owning BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN because it was a COMBO. Ditto for the upcoming CHILDREN OF MEN.

You all bitch and moan so much and would probably be complaining if they stopped the COMBOS. As more HD players are in homes the prices will go down for both HD and BD. Just chill and enjoy it all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bradley,
If you checkout some other threads besides this one, you will see the same people complaining about the cost of these combo discs are doing the same with Fox and Disney BRD.

Also, please don't disrespect me or anybody else by suggesting our complaints aren't valid just because you're fine with combos and the pricing of discs. From my personal perspective, I am complaining not because I can't afford the prices which I can, but I am doing so, as a consumer voice so that the studios know that software pricing has to be competitive in order for these new formats to be accepted beyond just a niche market.

There is already too much confusion regarding these competitive formats and in my opinion, I think the studios are adding even more confusion to this mess.

Crawdaddy

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Studios:

Here's a balanced pricing structure:

$25 Catalog
$30 Combo
$35 New
$40 Special edition - 2 disc

Everyone should then be happy!

I saw The Jerk SE priced at $5! I don't think people would be happy paying $25 for a Combo.

Classic catalog should not be Combos. The DVD is already out there at $5.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

exactly robert.

i am not buying these combos or the overpriced br discs.

lower the price and i'll buy

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Adam, any idea when Universal is going to send you a more complete release schedule you eluded to?:)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
No idea. I sent a reminder yesterday and was told that they are "ironing out" the details. As soon as I know you will know.....

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Thank you much. Will be looking forward to seeing it when available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks