1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Conversation with Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Adam Gregorich, Jan 25, 2007.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    right the love conquers all version put together by sheinberg.
    only shown on tv i think.

no theatrical version on home video.

2. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

So how 'bout that press release from Universal!!! [​IMG]

One thing I will say though, I am encouraged to see that a lot of those folks complaining in the "Fox pricing" thread are complaining here. I may disagree with you guys, but I gotta hand it to you...you're all very consistent!!! [​IMG]

And since this is the Universal thread, it needs some humor, and in light of the lack of Spielberg announcements (not really unexpected at this point), I thought it would be fitting to quote Dr. Ian Malcolm from The Lost World: Jurassic Park, "Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming." [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Regards,
    Dan

3. RobertCH

RobertCH Stunt Coordinator

Fair enough. No offense intended, and if I came across as overly critical, my apologies. It's just that the two newest combos I've boughten were for less then $22 a piece at amazon. For me, with no tax a free shipping, $22 for a HD disk is more than acceptable, even without the added value of being able to play it in the other dvd players around my house. And I'm a poor college student. [​IMG]

4. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Who's up for taking DanR out back and beating him? [​IMG] [​IMG]...[​IMG] Hey Dan, what HD DVD player do you have?

I think there are many worthy titles in that list. That's just a sampling according to Adam and more on the way.

5. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

It was a joke, I was trying to get people back to the press release and the titles, rather than the whole combo/pricing fiasco.

If you wanna square off with me out back, you'll have to excuse me while I go get my Darth Vader Force FX lightsaber. You have learned much young one, but you are not a Jedi yet. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Regards,
    Dan

6. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Oh, Tim, I forgot. When Universal releases on BD, I'm gonna hit ya with a "Young fool, only now, at the end, do you understand." [​IMG] [​IMG] Of course, for our little story here, we are going to ingore what happens to the Emporer after that...HAHAHAHA. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Regards,
    Dan

7. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Might be awhile for Universal Dan but for sure when Fox does release these, you can do all the heavy breathing for us in HD. [​IMG]

All in good fun, my friend.

8. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Another thing going against me in this format war is the colors. While Maroon is my favorite color.....that dark redish color does resemble the Dark Side while the Blue could be considered a Jedi color. [​IMG]....of course the past few dvd releases have shown the lightsabers to take on a bunch of different colors. [​IMG]

9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I was thinking of picking up MIAMI VICE on HD DVD. I went to a local B&M store to pick up a copy. I found out that MV was a HD DVD/DVD combo with a lovely 51 Canadian dollar price tag. The decision to purchase that particular movie was very easy to make and the decision was "no way". If 50 dollar combo discs is UNIVERSALS way of "supporting" HD DVD then the format can die for all I care. Every one of UNIVERSALS combo discs has been a "no go" decision for me because they are too damned expensive. I will not pay 40 to 50 dollars for a movie, no matter what format they come out on. If FOX, UNIVERSAL, or DISNEY want to ensure that their respective formats die (or remain niche) then they are going about it in exactly the right way with their insane pricing policies.

10. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

90% of Universal's releases will now be combos. I wonder what the 10% will be and how they will decide...?

11. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Chris Caine
  12. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    The combo idea doesn't bother me, in fact I could see it being useful at my house. I have one main "theater" in my house but 4 other TVs that have a SD DVD player attached. At some point, both sides of a combo disc would get a workout.

So...where's that list of HD DVDs......?

[​IMG]

13. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Edit - Lethal Weapon [​IMG] I can't believe I asked that question. [​IMG] You are right Bat that is WB. The funny thing is I own LW 1 on laserdisc, dvd, hd-dvd and bluray. [​IMG]

I am also hoping that Universal supplies that list soon so we can see what is coming out this year and when.

14. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    universal does not own lethal weapon movies, warner bros does.

Jacob

15. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Universal releasing The Good Shephard on a combo release. I'm not happy with this release, but at least, I don't currently own the SD DVD. Still, I just think it's another way for the studios to increase their profit margin per unit sold. However, if the MSRP remains $34.95 for this title that's still playing in theaters then I have nothing to complain about, since, they've been charging that same MSRP for all of their films released to theaters within the last year on HD DVD.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._to_HD_DVD/452

16. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    You're still missing the point. I. DO. NOT. WANT. THE. SD. DVD. SIDE. Yet I am being forced to pay for it.

17. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I don't agree with this argument at all. The price point for shiny discs containing home video has been $15-$20 for a long time. I don't care what laserdiscs cost back in the day and that really isn't relevant to pricing on high-def discs. There is a huge manufacturing and distribution infrastructure already in place for DVD that the studios have leveraged into their high-def disc business model. Their costs are minimal compared to the laserdisc days. I'm with Robert - combos are a way for studios to maximize their profits by charging a premium for something that costs them very little overhead.

I'm starting to get very disillusioned about HD-DVD and Blu-ray. With each passing week, more layers of nonsensical business and marketing strategy seems to get piled on top of their already iffy product rollouts. IMO both camps should be thinking K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid) instead of throwing more and more half-baked "solutions" at consumers. If the trend continues I see both formats ending up exactly like SACD and DVD-Audio.

18. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    $51???? Where on earth was that? I've never seen a combo priced above $35 Cdn.

19. Juan C

Juan C Second Unit

Back to release pace...

Considering Universal has announced ten titles for January-April, to keep their promise they'd have to release 30-40 titles in May-June alone.

I find it hard to believe.

20. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Upon release of its first HD DVD titles, Universal was criticized for scheduling of their release announcements. If I remember correctly, some titles were practically available in stores at the same time as the announcements were made. They were also reportedly relatively silent at CES. It's probably the same issue: I don't think they have announced all their titles yet for the first four months of the year.