A Component Video Cable Story

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Witt, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine just bought these Tributaries cables (he bought 3 meters worth @ $70):
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...ponent%20Video
    I went over to his house last night to check them out. He popped in Toy Story 2 and we were both floored! We both have HDTV sets (his=Sony, mine=Toshiba) and are very familiar with TS 2. I have Acoustic Research cables on my set. We noticed details we have never seen before! Almost every scene that came up we would both say simultaneously "Oh my God!" "Do you see that!". I am not exaggerating. I really wouldn't have believed the difference would be so significant. I was very impressed and I'm now definately going to upgrade my component video cables. I'm not sure if I'll get these Tributaries or not - I'm going to shop around - but I'm now a believer in quality video cables and the difference they can make.

2. Mike Witt

BTW, I didn't start this thread to get in a wire war, I just wanted to share my experience.
    Later...

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Interesting, but isn’t it generally accepted that animated sources should never be used to gauge video peroformance?
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

4. Mike Witt

...just reporting what I (we) saw...like I said, I'm not into fighting wire wars...
    ...besides, these are really inexpensive cables compared to a lot of others out there. It makes me wonder what the expensive (I know terms like expensive are relative) cables would look like...fun hobby...

5. Mike Witt

...BTW, we also watched TPM (you know that Lucas movie) and noticed differences in it too, but we are both REALLY familiar with TS 2 and once we put it in we were so blown away we kept watching it.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

fun isn't it [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Wayne: where did the "..dont use animated movies for cable comparisons" come from?
    I tend to favor animated DVD's for showing differences between composite and svideo/component connections. The large areas of solid colors make it very easy to spot fade/bloom and the large intersections of contrasting colors are great for spotting dot-crawl.
    So what is the logic behind not using it for cable comparisons?

8. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

I would think an animated movie like TS2 would be what you wanted to use for a cable comparison, as all the details in there are man made, and if you see it there, it is probably supposed to be there. In a regular movie, how do you know if it is supposed to be there or not?
    Which AR cables do you have - the Pro series? Just curious as I have the pro series all around (but I only use S-Video).
    Thanks for the info - these are the threads that make me lean to the side of cables making a difference. I am still skeptical, but you have nothing to gain by posting this, so it makes me think that someday I should try it out myself to see if I see a difference.
    Bryan

9. Mike Witt

These are the Acoustic Research cables that I own:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=4514&DID=7
    I believe your "Pro Series" AR cables are superior to mine (although I don't know the difference myself).
    I really want to try some different cables on my system now. I will probably get a couple of different brands and compare them to my AR cables.
    Specific scenes on TS where I could see a difference would include the scene where they are walking across the street using the cones. The grime and dirt on the cones was so much more evident and defined. Also, the pipe that rolls off the truck - it's surface looked so much more "pimply" or "gritty". We also noticed every scratch and mar on any surface the toys would walk by - like in the store. Details on the surface of the toys, floors, walls and anything close in frame exhibited definate details neither of us had noticed before. Again, I (We) are very familiar with this film so these details jumped out at us. (I have a 2 1/2 year old who wants to watch TS & TS 2 constantly).

10. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

I too don't want to get into a cable war but I was in the non-believer camp until a hi-fi dealer I talked to let me use some Cardas speaker cables to test my system in place of my 12 guage.
    Well... $300 later...
    ------------------
    You don't need a centre channel.