What's new

A Complete Set: The Final Frontier! (and a comment) (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As a completist, let me just say

HOORAY!

My Star Trek - TOS set is now finished. (As is my Twilight Zone Set, My I Spy Set [I think!], Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Avengers and several others.)

Attention Studios: For future reference, please give us a bit of a break on complete series. There is really no reason (other than marketing) in this day and age to limit us to two episodes per disc.

Don't get me wrong. I treasure my Star Trek-TOS set and the quality is remarkable considering the source material, but I'm running out of freakin' shelf space!!!

;)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What is your favorite for story? For sound? For visual?

Thanks. If I pick up one, it sounds, pun intended, like the last one for me. Unless your faves can sway me.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
RAF, I'm extremely jealous. I maybe have half of them, and not in order (the "must-haves"...my favorite episodes). I intend to at least pick up #40 today, though. It will compliment "The Menagerie" nicely.
Ed, all the discs (that I have, anyway) are splendid on sight and sound quality, IMHO. Basically it comes back to recommending those episodes that most any fan would agree are the cream of the crop. *My* personal favorites have always included:
  • Devil in the Dark
  • City on the Edge of Forever
  • A Piece of the Action
  • Balance of Terror
  • The Trouble with Tribbles
  • The Doomsday Machine
  • Errand of Mercy
  • The Enterprise Incident
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • Space Seed
  • Assignment: Earth
  • Where No Man Has Gone Before
  • Journey to Babel
  • Day of the Dove
  • The Tholian Web
Y'know, the obvious ones! ;) If you just read the back of a box and choose a story that intrigues you, you probably can't go wrong!
All this, from a man who owns a bona fide Tribble AND the script autographed by its author...

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I just "sampled" The Cage a bit (I'm pressed for time right now) and it looks fine in color. As to favorites? This is a bit like trying to pick a "favorite" grandchild.
No way I'm going to touch that one! They are all my favorites.
And for those who don't have the complete set, why do I get that knawing feeling that we will, at some point, see a complete set (or a re-issue of the material on the discs) in some "set" format? Yes, I know that Paramount has said they won't be doing this, but what about a couple of years down the road when they realize just how inconvenient 40 disks for ~80 episodes (if you include the doubles) really is? When I say "inconvenient" I mean for distribution, not for use. The Star Trek TOS discs are actually much more convenient to use in practice than, say, the X-Files season sets when trying to view specific episodes. Just pull the appropriate discs off the selves without all the unfolding, etc.
Whatever. The Bleeding Edge is where one sometimes gets cut a bit (I saw the Twilight Zone discs drop in price from about ~$14 street to ~$10 street midway through the offering, and the Monty Python Flying Circus set discounted as a complete package once they were all released) but it's fun nonetheless.
Live long and prosper!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The Star Trek TOS discs are actually much more convenient to use in practice than, say, the X-Files season sets when trying to view specific episodes. Just pull the appropriate discs off the selves without all the unfolding, etc.
Don't you ever just sit down and watch episode after episode for hours on end? When I got the Simpsons (season one) on DVD, I sat down and watched the first eight episodes back-to-back. The next day, I did the same with the last five. It's so nice to be able to just sit back and enjoy.

There is room for so much material on a DVD. It's absolutely rediculous for a collection to be spread so thinly over so many discs.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There is room for so much material on a DVD. It's absolutely rediculous for a collection to be spread so thinly over so many discs.
Carl,
Actually, I'm in agreement with you on this. I would have preferred the ST-TOS collection to be on fewer discs as well. My comments were just to point out one small "advantage" (if you could really call it that) of individual discs with two episodes per. Sort of a silver lining on the dark cloud.
If you read my original post more closely you'll see that I'm in favor of condensing these sets as my remarks about running out of shelf space indicated.
Peace out.

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
I've been buying all the discs as they get released also. I'm quite happy with the collection. By the end of the week I'll be able to say I've definately seen all the TOS shows. There are so many good episodes that I can't really pick.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Congrats, Mr. Fowkes.

I'm cherry-picking my way through the Third Season on the way toward completion.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I still need the last 4 I used to buy them as released but christmas you know. I'll get them after the first of the year especially if I get some gift cards.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bring on TNG!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But, hopefully, not in "dribble disc" fashion (one disc at a time).
You mean you haven't watched the OUTSTANDING preview of the TNG disc set that is on #40?
I took one look at this and yelled out. OH. MY. GOD. !!!
The video clarity was simply breathtaking. It was TNG as I've never seen it before...not even the TNG film DVD's!
And that was just a couple-minute sample!
If I had any concern whatsoever, it was when they flashed a picture of a disc, which promptly extended out to 7 discs as they promoted the fact of a box set with the entire season together. The disc label looked like a typical early Warner Bros. or early Disney (pre "Disney-DVD" series) disc: silver with darker silver TNG logo; very plain-jane. I hope the final discs look spiffier than that. If they don't, who cares? What's ON the disc is what counts, right? And if this is a taste...HO BOY!!
I must say this: [rant]THANK YOU, MARTIN BLYTHE, AND THE OTHER FINE FOLKS AT PARAMOUNT!![/rant]. This looks splendid, simply splendid!
It will be a loooooong 3 months indeed, waiting for this set. :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Bruce F

Agent
Real Name
Bruce
Indeed, they won't be "dribbling" them out. I recently read an article on TV on DVD on one of the multitude of websites I read regularly, and Martin Blythe was quoted as saying that the TOS was the first attempt at Paramount, and if they were to do it again, they probably would have gone the other way.

Which was the implied reason why they're doing TNG as season sets, not individuals like TOS.

Makes sense to me... they tried it one way, and weren't ecstatic with the results. Fox came along afterwards, and tried it the other way with their X-Files sets, and seemed to appease the larger audience with the whole season in one shot, so now Paramount has seen the light.

I give them kudos for their efforts. They were the first, that I'm aware of. I'll admit I cherry picked my favorites, rather than buying the whole set, but there is no doubt I'll be getting each season of TNG and beyond.

Thanks, Paramount, for trying, and for listening to your fans!

Bruce

todd s

Senior HTF Member
From all the rumored reports the season box sets of TNG will be coming out every other month. If true this is great news. I for one want all the episodes as soon as possible so I can get rid of my vhs tapes. As much as I love the X-Files sets. The six month gap is a lot of time. With Trek being 7 seasons. I would hate to have to wait 4 years to get all the episodes, let alone DS9 and Voyager. And for all those people who say it is too quick and would be too expensive. I say just because it is out, does not mean you have to get it the first day.

I hope we hear something concrete from either Paramount or Martin soon.

Thanks Paramount if true!!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Robert-

The other advantage to the disc dribble of the TOS DVD's, and I pointed this out 2 years ago when they first started to dribble, is the ability to cherry pick. I'm very sure that was in the minds of the Marketing folks at Paramount, both in the 80's during the laserdisc roll out and the DVD effort. (The laserdiscs also had 2 shows per disc, but the laserdiscs took less then the half my shelf space the DVD's do!) They knew the fans like us will eat it all up, and they can also make sales to those who are not as enthusiastic.

When the TNG comes out, I'm not as enthusiastic to complete that collection. I'm a TOS fan first. The Next Generation had some great gems, but I don't plan to buy the sets. If someone will sell them individually, let's talk!

Or, and if Martin is listening, I liked the themed set Laserdiscs that were produced, including the Captains series, a "Q" series, and a Borg series of sets. A DVD set of the above or a best of set, that included the pilot film, the last episode, Relics, The Inner Light, Best of Both Worlds, etc.

I realize what I am suggesting is in direct opposition to what you all fought and patitioned Paramount for. I seriously doubt I can justify purchasing the first season. There was only a few I can count on one hand I'd buy, Conspiracy was perhaps the strongest of the first year and I think the 7th year was almost as weak.

My thoughts anyway. I'm working on the Twilight Zone and The Thunderbirds now.

Nelson

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
(The laserdiscs also had 2 shows per disc, but the laserdiscs took less then the half my shelf space the DVD's do!)
Nelson,
Interesting that you should mention this. As a person who has seen my DVD collection rapidly approach (and probably surpass in the next month or so) my 1776 LD titles I am acutely aware of the shelf space dilemma. True, the linear shelf space of LD's is, of course, less than the linear space taken up by an equivalent number of DVD's. However, in my experience I have not found any real savings in total space used by LD's. Remember, they are almost twice as tall as DVD's so that must be factored into the equation when figuring out shelf space (or, more correctly, wall space.) Take it from one who's been there, it's just about a wash between the space needed for an equivalent number of LDs and DVDs.
When I had my shelves built I made them extremely adjustable and spec'ed out to a depth of ~13" to accomodate LD's, LP's, DVD's, whatever. Unless I start storing my DVD's two-deep on the shelves (not very practical, but not out of the realm of possibility once I reach crunch time) there is no space advantage of one medium over the other.
And why do I hold on to my LD's? Once the window of opportunity came and went to sell off these puppies I decided to keep them and I'm not sorry. Not only do I have a lot of older stuff (pre 1951) that still looks great, but I'm finding that some of my collection has actually grown in value now that LD's are no longer produced. And I keep getting surprised almost daily. Latest case in point was the discussion of the new TWIN PEAKS DVD set. I quickly realized that I have a perfectly good copy of the Pilot Episode on LD (it's not included in the Twin Peaks DVD set and I watched it the other night in preparation for the DVDs) and it still looks fine. Incidentally, I always watch TV episodes on my "smaller" set (the Pioneer 45" RPM, non-anamorphic) rather than on my FP monitor (110" screen) since it better recaptures the "TV" experience. A lot of my LD's are TV episodes or classic movies so they don't look bad at all on the TV monitor.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to suggest that LD's look better than DVD's in general. That is simply not true, although there are some exceptions to this. I'm just saying that LD's still serve a purpose (and DTS still sounds better) for us "old timers."
:laugh:
Live long and prosper!

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
I'm just saying that LD's still serve a purpose
Darn right they do, especially when it comes to TNG. With my trusty old LD's of "Encounter at Farpoint" and "Cospiracy/The Neutral Zone", can anybody give me a reason to get the show's first season? The vast majority of those eps were horrible. After season three hits the shelves, I might start buying.

And yes, I did "cherry pick" my way through TOS. Wound up buying 21 volumes out of the 40 released. And I'm very happy to have 'em on my shelf.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I completed my set a couple of days ago. I am like you RAF I can't pick a favorite out of the set. Paramount did an excellent job on these discs. They look like they were just released to video. I can hardly wait for TNG to get started on the season sets. Granted the first season isn't the best but heh we are talking about a collection and it wouldn't be the same without all the seasons.

Next up. The Prisoner season set.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks