A Christmas Carol (1951)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottR, Nov 17, 2001.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Does anyone have the VCI release of this film on DVD? I saw a copy of the 50th Anniversary edition at Suncoast. I hesitate to buy it because I bought a vhs edition of the film from VCI a few years back, and there were odd fade-outs that looked like they were designed for a television broadcast. Does anyone know if the DVD contains the same odd fades? It's funny but everytime I have seen this film on television, those fade outs are not there. Anyway, your responses could save me much needed cash if the DVD is the same. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I haven't watched it since last year, and won't be watching again until Dec. 1, but I don't recall anything striking me as odd about the picture. But take that with a grain of salt.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

We've watched it. Good disc, not great. Worth it for under $10.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
    .....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

4. Doug Broccone

I'd like to get a copy in widescreen. Is the 1951 Alistair Sims Christmas Carol in Widescreen anywhere?
    Please let me know...
    Doubro@optonline.net

5. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron

6. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

I found the print used to be very scratchy and grainy. If this was indeed "restored and remastered" as it said on the box, I'd hate to see what the unrestored print looked like.

That said...we're still talking about, IMHO, the best screen version of the Dickens classic ever made, so yes, if you can buy it for around ten bucks, I'd pick it up...scratchy print and all.

7. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Scott,

Unfortunately the DVD of A CHRISTMAS CAROL does, to the best of my recollection, include the "fade outs" that look like they were designed for television. Also the very first notes of music are cut off(when a pair of hands takes the A CHRISTMAS CAROL off the bookshelf in the films opening moments). Having said that, the DVD does look much better than the older VHS and laser editions so if you like this film this is the best way to see it. I hope Criterion releases a version of this film to DVD someday that really does it justice.

8. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Ok, what's with this? I finally received the 50th Anniversary edition of this film on dvd. The opening shot of the bookcase with all of the classics, including Carol, is missing. The scene starts as the book is coming off of the shelf. How can you call something restored if it is altered in such a careless way? I agree that this film needs serious work done...perhaps by Criterion. Geez, one of the greatest holiday films of all time done a disservice by the distributor of the video. Reminds me of another holiday classic that was in the public domain in the 1980's...hmmmm!

9. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I agree with ScottR, this film is a classic and needs to be preserved by a company like Criterion.

Andy

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I much prefer the M-G-M 1930's version, which maybe WB will give us one day.

11. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

HEY!

Check AMAZON.com! There are 2 versions of this film. The "50th anniversary" disc and the 1 which I have seen with a colorized version on 1 side, the BandW version on the other side, an introduction from Patrick MacNee, a "Rudolph" cartoon and notes. THIS version does NOT have the fades! Most likely the 50th anniversary version which I have NOT seen is the 1 with the fades!

Peace! D

12. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

The 50th Anniversary version does not have the fades, but it has the omission at the opening as I stated earlier in this thread.

13. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I watched my copy of the B&W/Color release of "Scrooge", and only a snippet of the finger scanning the classics on the shelf is ommitted (I also checked my VHS copy which is unedited.) Although, even a snippet is too much for any fan of this masterpiece.

I also hope that the 1938 "A Christmas Carol" get's released, also as a B&W/Color disc since there is a colorized version created. Was this created beofre of after 1989? If after, they were probably following the lead from the colorization of "Scrooge."

Andy

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I would rather not see it released if it is only a colorized version! Colorization is a destruction of the director's intent. I absolutely refuse to watch or buy colorized films!!!!

15. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

Amazon.com has another version being released on Nov. 5, 2002.

Anyone have any info on this and how it might differ from the previously released versions?

16. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Anyone have any comments on the November 5, 2002 release from VCI? As above, it seems in the pre 11/5 release the beginning was cut slightly and there were TV-style fades. I'd love to get this for my step-father as he adores this movie but I want to be sure it's not going to be disappointing.

Thanks!

17. Rain

Rain Producer

It is worth noting that the proper title of the film, as its British makers gave it, is Scrooge.

18. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

I don't think it really needs Criterion, but it does deserve a good, restored Kino release...

19. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

The different versions are very confusing. Even the cover scan in DVD Profiler does not match the UPC I have. I'm betting there may even be multiple covers for the same UPC.

Sorry, I can't offer input on the versions as I have not watched mine yet but I may do later today!

N

20. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I have the pre-11/02 VCI version of A Christmas Carol (1951). I watched the B/W side tonight. I did not notice any "fades" as if made for TV viewing. While there were some apparent scratches in the film, it is the best release of this film that I have seen yet. I have the 1938 version on laserdisc. I also like that version.