What's new

A cheap Surround in a box for my friend? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
A good friend of mine is moving to a new apartment and wants to set up surround sound. He has very little money
frown.gif
but he really wants something to experience DVD's with DD5.1 when he buys a DVD player.
He's asked if it is possible to buy a DD5.1 receiver with speakers and subwoofer for just $300. I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I have never looked at the bargain end of surround sound. He can probably go up to $400 and maybe $500. No more than that since he'll also need to buy a new TV and a DVD player.
Anyone have some recommendations?
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm sure there are other brands also, but the latest Crutchfield catalog has two complete systems for $499 - but they include a DVD player! They are the Pioneer HTD510DV and the Panasonic SCHT70 - both are full DD5.1 (the Pioneer also has DTS!) with 5 matched speakers & powered subwoofer and have 5-disc changers. Since Cruchfield is a little high priced, your friend could probably find the Pioneer or Panasonic for around $450 (or less online)if he's a good bargainer. Then he can put the left-over $$$ to the new TV. Also, be sure to check out BJ's Wholesale or Sam's Club or any of the warehouse retailers. They carry these items, too - I saw a Sony (model DAV-S300, I think) system for $399 at BJ's.
Hope this helps.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Hello Matt.
I would recommend either an "all-in-one" system, or a serious bargain hunt. Some of the "all-in-one" systems are pretty low priced and can have decent performance.
However, the "serious bargain hunter" mode can result in a better sounding and performing system IMO. You mention $300 as a price point. I'll work from there. both Link Removed
And there is no doubt in my mind that the system that I have speced out in my online bargain hunt would greatly outperform any similarly priced "in a box" system, and probably genuinely surprise you.
Good luck!
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on September 22, 2001 at 10:00 AM]

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Great suggestions Phil,
The bargain hunt option will most certainly reap better results. It's down fall time spent looking! I belive the trade off, your time spent looking for the seperate items, would be well served.
Deals are out there to be had, and if you ask for help finding them, certainly, many here will do thier best to dig-em up. :)
Good luck
Geoff

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Wow. Great suggestions! This helps a lot. Thanks very much!
Anybody know where I can find some reviews for that Panasonic Home Theater in a box? I am having no such luck.
frown.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on September 23, 2001 at 07:31 PM]

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
I would also suggest looking on e-bay once he decides what he wants. I built my whole surround system off of e-bay purchases. You can find some unbelievable deals out there if you have a little patience. There is some risk, but I've made a number of purchases, and everything I've bought has been in the exact condition specified in the information. Most of my pieces were actually brand new and I paid 25-50% of the value.
Just one more suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks