A+ certification. Best study guides?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Clinton McClure, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I have a potential job offer within the next few months with a significant salary jump. The only catch is I must posses A+ certification. I checked out tons of study guides tonight ranging from $29 to $90. They all seem to have a CD included with practice exams which I know I need. I'm wondering which is the best. Do I get more information in the costlier books? Are there any particular authors/publishers to check out or stay away from?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I used the Que Training Guide with the PrepLogic practice tests. Purchase of the book also gave me a discount on the exam. Price was about $50.00. I also bought some extra test questions that were offered.

Don't laugh, but I also used the A+ Certification for Dummies. It was readable and good for light studying.

Overall, I spent about $150.00 getting ready for the test. Good luck.

3. Nathan Eddy

Nathan Eddy Second Unit

Exam Cram is a good series. I used it for my A+ and Network+ exams. I also got another book of nothing but practice questions. That was really helpful. It was cheaper, too. Get as many practice questions as you can, and use your wrong answers to go back and study those specific topics.

I really wish I had not wasted money on taking classes for the A+. I appreciated the hands-on training, but the tests are multiple choice, so classes don't really help in getting certified. However, the classes were actually part of a bigger course to get my MCSE, but I ran out of funds and could only do the A+ and Network+ portions. Eventually, I intend on finishing up. But now I'm working in tech support and like my job. It's easy, and I'm putting some of my skills to use.

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Out of curosity, how much does the A+ exam cost?

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Also out of curiosity, do they still teach soldering along with the A+ courses? Not sure if it is on the exam, but I worked with a fresh-outta-the-classroom A+ guy a few years back. We had a bad SCSI card, and instead of replacing it, he wanted to re-solder a few chips...I really tried not to laugh [​IMG].

Although now I do run across times when I would love to not be the cold-soldering dolt that I am when fixing various things.

Anyhow, heres the page I found:

http://certification.about.com/cs/to...tp/a+books.htm

6. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

The current standard cost is $153.00. You can sometimes find promotional pricing. Go to Comptia.org for more info on the exam and pricing.

7. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

Not a real cheap solution, but I found that nothing beats the pratice exams from Transcender. If you can pass all their practice tests, it is pretty much a guarantee that you will pass the real thing.

What I would do is print out all the questions with the answers and study from that. What was nice about that is that they explain the answers. On other such tests, they would just say the answer was "C" for example with no explanation as to why.

At the very least, download the demo test.