What's new

A Car for Mexico (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

We have, but we really love the Acura—and based on some information in this thread (and some gasoline availability research), it looks as though the Honda dealers can service the car and that 91 octane gas is generally available.

So I am now thinking about keeping the Acura.

You point is taken about American plates, but mine are Texas plates—and there are more than a few native Mexicans with those plates on their cars. :)

Those VW buses were among the most underpowered vehicles ever made. Not to discourage your wife, but be careful.

Overall, I do think small is better. Where are you relocating Matt?

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt

I'm moving to Puebla, MX (actually to Cholula, which is a little town outside of there) hopefully sometime within the next month. Puebla is pretty far from any of the border crossings, so in our 5 years down there I expect we'll only drive to the US once or twice.

Good point about the Texas plates..at UDLA (the college we'll be working near) one of the parking lots had more AZ and TX plates that local Puebla plates. VW's big plant is in Puebla, so supposedly the prices and availability of parts can't be beat; I owned a Jetta TDI up until a few months ago, so I know that VWs aren't the most reliable, but as long as they can be fixed easily and cheaply thats good enough for me.

Are topes a big problem in Chapala? Some friends in Mexico city are constantly having trouble with their shocks/struts on their van due to constant speed bumps...you might see when you get your struts replaced if they make a heavier duty model (usually bilstein makes a normal shock and a heavy duty shock for each car).

I'm bringing my NEC LT150, so I may have the first DLP theater in Puebla :). I'm sure Chapala will be nice, the pictures I have seen are incredible, and the choice of coastal spots around there is second to none...even tho we are much closer to the Gulf coast, everyone has told us to go to the Pacific beaches because they are so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks