What's new

A Car for Mexico (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
We currently drive a Acura TL, by far the best car I’ve ever owned. But I’m looking for a car suitable for driving in Mexico, and I think that the Acura won’t be suitable for at least two reasons: (1) high octane gas does not seem to widely available (the Acura needs 92 octane) and most places in Mexico seem to sell low and mid-octane gas and (2) there are no Acura dealers in Mexico and I’m moderately concerned that Honda dealers might not be as familiar with servicing Acuras (and there might be a delay with some parts).

I’m looking for recommendations for a car for Mexico, especially around the Lake Chalapa area. Most of the roads are hard-surfaced and in good repair. The local communities have somewhat narrow streets and the surface is cobblestone.

Driving will mostly be around the local village(s) with monthly trips to Guadalajara (good roads all the way) and occasional trips to other parts of Mexico.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Daniel De

Agent
Something you do not care if it makes it back to the US or not? Something that insurance will be inexpensive.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A car that I will use full time in Mexico. Something pretty nice (that is why I mentioned the Acura) but not over the top.

Modest luxery. ;)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Toyota pickup 22RE. It will run forever, there are a ton of them in Mexico. Parts are not tough to find.(aftrmkt)

edit: If you're concerned about (being stranded by) finding parts. I'd go with a Nissan P/U or maybe a(reliability in question) Volkwagen. As there are dealerships in Mexico.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I dont think the gas is a concern, my '99 3.2 TL runs fine on 87 + and up octane. The computer adjusts timing to run on just about anything, you will lose 10-15 hp but nothing to be concerned about, I actually get 1-3 mpg better running low octane.

As far as service I live in a small town with no Acura dealer, the local honda dealer has done minor service on my car with no problems, they have a book with part # crossovers, most of the maint. parts are identical to the same year Honda Accord V6. Now if you had major problems it might be more difficult but these cars are just about bullet proof.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the info Clint. I'm a bit more optimistic, now.

And Zen ta muchly for the Toyota pickup idea. Just the ticket for my wife, who likes her comfort and leather. ;) :D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I think the latest TL engine has the highest compression ratio out of all of em. I'm sure 87 will still make it run but if you try any hard accelerating you may get some knocking and/or a huge loss in power when the ECU adjusts the mixture.

Still sorta unclear on what you need the car for.. Weekend trips to Mexico? Just transportation from point A to B (ie- no hauling work)? A Tacoma sounds great, but for long driving another older Japanese sedan may do the trick.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
can't think of a car recommendation.

but...if you happen to see a tan early 80's ford cougar....snag it and give it back to me.

i let my friends borrow it to go to tj. it was promptly stolen and i had to drive all the way down there to pick their drunk asses up!

well, they were quite sober by the time i got there...

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I'm sorry Lew. I thought you wanted a practical, reliable, somewhat inconspicuous choice. If luxury is what you're after, how about an upper-end Jetta(complete with leather seating)? Or better yet, a Passat. Since, you're so flippin' loaded. :D

E

Eric Kahn

I know someone that retired to mexico years ago, he bought a Chevy because they have a large dealer network in mexico

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Check your user's manual.

My supercharged GTP requires 91+, with a stern warning not to use anything lower except for in an emergency.

My wife's old Honda Del Sol required it, but only for better performance. It said in the manual you could use lower, it would just lower the HP.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A combination of all of that Zen--practical, reliable, somewhat inconspicuous, plus some understated comfort—I did some checking, and it looks as though Pemex sells a premium grade—so I may keep my Acura.

Now I need to see if I can get a map of Mexico for the navigation system.

Gabriela Mendez

Stunt Coordinator
Buy a Jetta. I took mine to a dealership in mexicali mexico and they had better service and courtesy than my local dealership in sd (no VW in imperial valley, ca). The best thing was that the factory warranty is transferrable from the US to Mexico on new vehicles. unfortunately it only covers up to one year from the day bought. (on parts & service). My AC fan blew and they replaced it warranty paid. The guys @ SD VW didn't even noticed it. Remember, Jettas are made in Mexico!

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Lew -
Any VWs will be a good choice, but the TDI models may have trouble finding diesel except at the highway PEMEXs, depending on your area.. here are some links:

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/driving.html

has good info on what to look for, also routes to major cities from the US and other tips.

A nissan altima might be a good choice (you can get leather and they are not overly conspicous, plus good room in the back seats), they are sold in mexico and Nissan seems to have a pretty good support network down there. They do sell Hondas (a new dealership just went in in Puebla where I'm moving) in Mexico, but if you have a breakdown chances are the local mechanics will not be as familiar with it as a VW or Nissan.

Is this for a permanent or temporary relocation?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Permanent—or at least as permanent as anything gets in my life (I figured the other day, I’ve lived about 25% of my adult life outside the US).

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt

Have you thought about buying the car there? From what I have heard having US plates or the dreaded importation sticker can make you a pretty big target for mordida hungry cops.

Let me know what you find out...my wife and I are probably going to be looking at getting one of the smaller VWs (Pointer) when we get down there, although her lifelong dream of owning a VW bus may finally be realized if we can find one in good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks