A Calibration / Color Question (Sony)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveK, Feb 11, 2002.

1. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I recently purchased a Sony 32" Wega, which I finally calibrated over the weekend using the Avia calibration disk. Everything was easy enough, except that I never did notice any "blooming" on the picture level adjustment. I just turned it up about halfway, and everything seems fine. The correct point for the "sharpness" settings and other adjustments were much more easily determined, and it was very clear when the settings were too high or too low. I had been using the "movie" setting, so there really weren't any dramatic changes. I had read that it was difficult to get used to a calibrated set, but apparently the settings I had been using were reasonably close to the calibrated settings so there's really not that much of a change. I previously had a Zenith which I never did calibrate, but most of the settings were about halfway on it too, so perhaps that it why I don't notice a huge change that I need to get used to.

My specific question refers to its color, specifically what seems to be a red tint. Before calibrating it, the TV seemed to have very much of a red tint to it, which I thought would be corrected by calibration. I tried a couple of discs, and everything seemed better. However, last night I watched "Tombstone" and was disappointed to see a lot of red, particularly on skin tones. Everybody looked sunburnt! I switched the color temperature to neutral, and that helped some but the red tint was definitely still there.

Is there something else I need to do other than what is covered in the calibration adjustments? The Sony does have a nice picture, but the red just seems too strong.

Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Steve K.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

You have a colour decoder issue and it cannot be solved in the user menu. The red filter simply helps to point out that the problem exists.

You have red push ... (over emphasis of red over the over colours)

Solution is likely in the service menu ... something called AXIS ... set to 1 ... not 0, not 2, not 3

regards

3. Eddie Wimberly

Eddie Wimberly Stunt Coordinator

4. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Michael, Eddie-

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, the advice given in the linked article doesn't seem to match the advice given by Mike. Mike- is it safe to assume that the setting ou're referring to is readily available on the service menu? The service menu seems to use a lot of abbreviations; since I obviously don't want to change the wrong parameter, is AXIS the exact way it's referred to on the service menu, or is there some abbreviation used?

Thanks

Steve K.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

AXIS is the service mode reference ...

or AXPL if AXIS not there.

Regards