A bunch of bones to pick - mostly with CBS

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Viper, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Viper

Viper Second Unit

Joe Fisk
    I've noticed that very few of the hot shows, past and present, that began on CBS have been released. This is also true for TV movies as well. It really annoys me when I see some of these obscure shows being released while some of the most popular shows have been ignored so far. I'd rather not be an old man by the time I can get complete sets of some of these shows, ya know?

examples:
    The District
    Nash Bridges
    Diagnosis Murder
    Early Edition
    NCIS!!
    JAG
    Cold Case
    Martial Law
    First Monday
    Becker
    Hack
    Now And Again(?)

I remember all of those shows airing on CBS and most are/were rather popular, unless I miss my guess. So why is CSI the only bloody CBS show to get released? They need to get on the ball here. I also dislike the fact that they don't make season 2,3 etc of CSI available in full screen format as it was shown on tv. I watched it on tv in full screen, that's the way I want it on DVD.

NBC is doing a pretty good job so far. I wish they'd hurry up with the rest of the Law & Order seasons though. Kinda BS that they skipped S2 of SVU and CI too.

Let's see what else.... Well, we have Andy Griffith, we have Columbo, Murder She Wrote, etc scheduled or released. What about Matlock for christ sakes!?!? How was he forgotten!?

Other shows that would seem to deserve release, considering all the obscure crap I keep seeing [​IMG]:

My Wife And Kids
    Philly
    Crossing Jordan
    Pacific Blue
    Step By Step
    Family Matters
    Drew Carey
    Coach

I could go on.

There's also quite a few unreleased tv movies. We got season 1 of ALF, but what about the movie ("Project ALF")!? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some of the others have had good actors in even...

Peter Benchly's Creature (1998?) - Craig T. Nelson! (I loved that movie so much I paid like $30 to someone just for a VHS tape with the commercials cut.) - Released in Region 2

The Tower (1993) - Paul Reiser

Final Descent (1997) - Robert Urich and Annette O'Toole (CBS [​IMG])

Code 11-14 (2003) - David James Elliot (again, CBS!)

Heart Of Fire (1997) - Patrick Duffy (CBS? I bet it was)

Now, of all the complete junk films with no-name actors that you see on rental and retail shelves, how can anyone justify not releasing those!!?

2. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

The networks (with rare exceptions) have nothing to do with whether a particular show gets released on DVD. The studios , not the networks, produce and own the shows that are released through their home video divisions.

The TV networks license (i.e. pay for) the shows from the studios for broadcast. Sometimes the networks have co-ownership in a particular show, which can complicate matters. The networks usually help finance the development of a show they'd desire, while the studios also produce "pilots" that are "shopped" to the networks. Many shows have switched networks during their original run, whether because of contract disputes ($) or canceled by one then picked up by another.

That's the short answer. There are too many other reasons why a show is released on DVD or not, and they are discussed here ad nauseum.

3. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

By the way...welcome to the forum! You will find answers here to almost any question you could imagine. You may want to browse through past threads for further information regarding the complications, disappointments, anticipation, appreciation and everything else related to our shared hobby of TV-on-DVD.

4. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

If I recall Alliance-Atlantis are the ones behind CSI and they're the ones behind the DVD. Also about you wanting it to be "full screen" the show has always been produced in widescreen (its been on HDTV forever) but broadcast on CBS in ful screen. Almost all shows are like this for the last 4 or 5 years.

5. LizH

LizH Second Unit

It's already been released in Region 2.

I'm sure it'll come to Region 1 eventually. [​IMG]

6. Viper

Viper Second Unit

Joe Fisk
    Ok, that pisses me off. I just looked up 3rd Rock (Region 2) and I see that all 6 seasons were released in less than a years time. Why the hell doesn't anything get released that fast here!?

7. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

8. Viper

Viper Second Unit

Joe Fisk
  9. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Most of the series that I have are CBS shows:

All in the Family
    Green Acres
    The Honeymooners
    I Love Lucy
    The Munsters
    The Twilight Zone
    Dallas
    Good Times
    M*A*S*H
    The Mary Tyler Moore Show

plus there are some I don't yet have:

The Waltons
    The Dukes of Hazzard
    The Jeffersons

10. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

If CSI Season 1 had been released correctly in widescreen, I would have purchased all of the seasons, instead I haven't bought any.

11. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

I feel your pain Joe and I completly agree and understand there should be alot these shows on dvd. There have been a couple current shows lately that have surprised me in that they haven't come out yet, Those ones being JAG, Third Watch, Drew Carey and many others that I can't think of at the moment But last year and this year have surprised me in how much great stuff has come out. So I say Give It Time, And Wait for It

With JAG I know thanks to Dave that it is a syndication thing that is holding it up, and for when it comes out is anybody's guess. It's spinoff NCIS has also surprised me maybe it will come in time for the start of Season 3.

Family Matters & Step By Step are available in the bonus discs of some of WB's latest comedy batch. Check out tvshowsondvd for more info on that. I think WB is doing a great job with this and maybe they will come out in Season Sets sometime.

I was just talking about My Wife and Kids and other ABC comedies in anoather thread and like I said in there I have no idea why they are not out yet.

3rd Rock is part of Casey Werner who has just started relasing there shows (That 70s Show, God the Devil & Bob, Cosby Show & Diffrent World) so again wait for it will come eventully.

I also heard that Talea From the Crypt & Coach were coming this year. We'd have to ask Dave or Gord for more info on those.

Hope that Helps Joe and Welcome to the Forums [​IMG]

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Welcome to the forum!

I dunno about those yet.

13. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

There is?
    well my friend will be happy to hear that. [​IMG]

14. TomJC

TomJC Extra

I'd certainly pay for Nash Bridges and Martial Law (the first season, at least). Thinking back on it, I've enjoyed practically any series developed by Carlton Cuse (who also did Brisco County Jr.).

15. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    Interesting idea to categorize my collection by Network. Might make for a fun way to reorganize my shelves. [​IMG]

ABCSports Night
    ABCSoap
    ABCThe Job
    BBCDoctor Who
    BBC-2Yes, Minister
    CBSAll in the Family
    CBSMaude
    CBSFresno
    FOXAction
    FOXGet a Life
    FOXProfit
    NBCI Spy
    NBCLand of the Lost
    NBCSeinfeld
    NBC/CBS/FOXGet Smart
    ShowtimeIt's Garry Shandlings Show
    Showtime?Brothers

Any big DUMONT series on anybody's wish lists?

My big CBS-aired wish is FRESNO (without the laugh track that was added for the re-airing)

Once I get The Job, my ONLY other MUST HAVE is Get Smart. And then I can stop collecting DVDs. [​IMG]

Really I can.

I can stop any time.

Watch me.

16. Viper

Viper Second Unit

Joe Fisk
    Bah. I can't believe Peter Benchly's Creature has been out on DVD in the UK for 2 years. I've got it ordered. Funny, that pretty much cuts my 'never gonna happen' list down to CBS-aired movies. [​IMG]

MishaLauenstein - I'm also anxiously awaiting The Job. [​IMG]

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

18. Viper

Viper Second Unit

Joe Fisk
    Well, I noticed Walker and Tales From The Crypt got a season released and 3rd Rock is finally appearing in Region 1, but what about the rest of this stuff? Any news?

19. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    The only CBS drama I'm wanting is Beauty and the Beast, starring Ron Perlman and Linda Hamilton.

20. Josh_HI

Josh_HI Second Unit

I am going to have a bone to pick with CBS if they don't release Joan of Arcadia Season 2 soon! They said it would come out in September but nothing has been announced. Season 2 on dvd is the least they could give us after canceling the show.