What's new

A bunch of basic questions all lumped together. (1 Viewer)

StephenWE

Agent
I'm looking at piecing together a HT setup over the next couple of months, and I have some questions. They touch on a little of everything because I basically don't know anything, although I have read a bunch of threads on these forums so I am smarter than I was a week ago.

I want to get a RPTV, and I want to keep the price to $1500 and below. I looked on Onecall.com and found two TV's. The Sony KP46WT510 and the Toshiba 51H83, and when I look through the information it lists a bunch of things I'm not really sure about? Other than looking at reviews, what listed facts should I be looking for?

I read that after you get a TV you have to calibrate it, and I can do so with a CD, can I also remove the protective screen? If I remove it can I put it back on?

I am going to get some Paradigm speakers, and I am currently looking at Monitor 7's for my L/R, a CC-370 for the center and I was recommended Titans for the surround. I would like to upgrade to Mini-Monitors for my surrounds, is that a wise move or is it just throwing away money? I'm going to get a subwoofer, and I'm not going to get a paradigm. I've seen some recommended here, I believe they have the Shiva driver? However, would I be better off getting a rear center before I get a sub? Should I get a rear center at all?

The local sales guy recommended a Marantz DVD player, however it was $600 dollars. That seems a little too pricey for a DVD player? Are Marantz DVD players that much better.

The salesman also recommended a Marantz receiver. He said that the power is cleaner and because Paradigm speakers aren't efficient it is important to run a good receiver. I've seen other people recommend a Denon receiver, I can't remember the model though.

I spend most of my time watching Movies or playing games, although I do like watching sports and other shows. I really want a good setup for watching 28 Days Later, as the music is key to the enjoyment of the film.

I would also like this to handle music well. I like all types of music, with the exception of country, but I would like jazz and classical to sound the best. I am interested in SA CD's and DVD Audio, but I don't have to have them, and won't if it will cost an arm and a leg.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'll try to answer some of your audio questions, and perhaps too your video questions. I don't follow RPTVs, so I can't help you there.

The digms are nice, it is preferred to have matching surrounds, so no, buying mini-monitors won't be "throwing money away" in the least. Still, if you're hitting budget limits, I'd put more emphasis on the front speakers than the surrounds, and titans or atoms should sound wonderful as surrounds. If you can afford to get the mini-monitors, or perhaps the ADP (another choice you may have to make) then it is preferred to have matching surrounds.

Paradigm makes some very solid subs that are very competitive in the retail market. However, if you're building your own sub with a shiva, or some such comparable driver, you can build a better sub for less $$. Or you can get something like an SVS if you don't want to build, and get an even better value than paradigm subs. If you are located in canada (your location is not listed), then paradigm and SVS probably end up even in value, or perhaps a nudge goes to digm.

I would STRONGLY urge you to get the sub first, the rear backs later. A sub is FAR FAR FAAAAR more important for movies than having 6.1/7.1.

If you do decide to go beyond 5.1, I also recommend that you get two rear backs for 7.1, to eliminate the reversal effect. You can always get 5.1 now, and add more speakers later if you get a solid receiver with all the features you want. It's probably best to overbuy some things now, and build your system longer-term rather than just buying everything all at once. You'll end up with a superior system, with more upgrade possibilities, rather than being limited by, say a receiver that may not be adequate for way better speakers, or not have all the features you want, etc etc.

Are marantz DVD players that much better than what? It depends. I don't use a DVD player, so I can't say. I am reluctant to characterize their dvd players just based on things I've read. But I will say that what I hear generally is that marantz focuses a lot on the audio quality of the DVD players, and is perhaps roughly equal in the video quality arena with competing models. Again, take that with a grain of salt. The audio/video sources forum will likely have way better info on this.

I own a marantz receiver, so I am biased there. I really like it, there are LOTS of great receivers out there. I wanted great 2-channel and music performance rather than features, and while my 5300 does everything I need it to, if you're into features instead of sound quality there are other brands out there. I would, though, put denon, hk, marantz, for instance, pretty close in sound quality. I would be very happy with any of these, and many others too.

Paradigms aren't very difficult to drive(again, I own mini-monitors and am biased), but they are nice, and you should look at spending at least $600 on a receiver to maximize the monitor series and not run out of steam. It also wouldn't be out of place to spend well more than that, a grand or more for a very good receiver either.

Hopefully that was helpful, and happy hunting! :emoji_thumbsup:

StephenWE

Agent
That was a great response!

I am located in Ohio, but I might go to Canada to pick up my speakers. It's a pretty short drive and I've contacted a store to get pricing. The store did $899 for the 7's, $479 for the center, and $499 for the mini's. They said that they adjust prices in store as well. That's about what I wanted to spend.

The receiver recommended to me was the Marantz SR7300, and the price was right around $1000. This receiver says it is 7.1 channel ready.

I think that my order of purchasing will go something like this

TV
Speakers/Receiver/DVD Player
Sub

This will occur during consecutive months. So If I go for a month without a sub I should be okay.

As a side note, I just got done watching Return of the King, and I can't wait to bring that home on DVD to my HT. :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a plan. Those are CDN $ i presume, as that's pretty inflated. I think the cc-370 is about $350 usd retail, the minis 350, and the 7s... i forget exactly. You may want to find a local dealer and save the trip.

Another reason to do this is because other than supporting local businesses and having support should something go bad, is that you can get lesser speakers now, for instance, and then trade them in for matching ones later. And yes you should be fine without a sub for a month. You'll be blown away by the system, only to be blown away again when you add something like an SVS a month later *just* when you think it's as good as it can be. :D

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
and make sure you do not have to pay the Customs Dept duty on the Canadian purchase. You may also get the Ontario GST (tax) refunded.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Chris has given you some good advice. That salesman is a moron if he said Paradigms aren't efficient. They are. Marantz makes good equipment but you dont need a $600 dvd player either. A powerful amp is a good idea but not for the reasons the salesman said. Take a look a Paradigm subs, they make some of the best and they are competitively priced IMO.
At least consider going to Canada for the Paradigms. Those prices are retail here and they wont charge you that much. They quote those prices so you wont shop them around. When you bring out the wallet I am guessing the prices will be about $850 for the 7s, $420ish for the cc370 and 450 for the minis, all CDN.
Chris does have a good point about buying local. If something goes wrong Paradigm will only pay for parts if you cant get back to the original dealer. I had a problem with my CC370 and it took them a month to fix.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since speakers are dominating this thread, I've moved the discussion here. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner's level, not for asking about specific recommendations on which components to buy.

jack w

Agent
$1000 seems like alot for the 7300 , i bought mine a year ago in new york (i think it should be cheaper in ohio) for $809.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I own the 7200 and recently heard tge NAD 762. I would definately make time to listen to the NAD too.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
NAD (New Acoustic Dimension): Brit audio equipment manufacturer most famous for producing audiophile components at budget prices. ~25 or so years ago they came up with the much celebrated 3020 stereo amplifier that put them on the world map. It was only 20W per channel, but...

StephenWE

Agent
Now I am considering an Axiom System as well. I read a lot of threads and it seems that people who went with Paradigm speakers plan to upgrade to Axiom. I'd rather just go right to the better of the two systems. I've only heard the paradigm, and I thought they sounded really good. So the competition is:

CC-370
Monitor 7's
Mini-Monitors

vs.

M50ti
QS8
VP150

both will be paired with a sub, probably a HSU or another recommended brand.

Are the Axiom's timbre matched?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks