What's new

A Bronx Tale? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Does anyone know what is up with disc releases for A Bronx Tale? The DVD, which accoding to an old RoundUp was released in January 2012, now appears to be out of print, and the only Blu-ray editions I can find record of are from other regions. I did a digital rental of this last week and found the Focus Features logo on the front of it, even though the film predates Focus by almost a decade. I assume they haven't bothered to do a domestic Blu-ray because that is a common issue with older Focus titles (Far From Heaven, Lust, Caution, etc.), but at least those that I mentioned have the DVD in print and readily available.

Has Focus perhaps let the rights lapse or something?

I would really like to own this, but would much prefer a Blu-ray to tracking down a used DVD. Also, I would think that now would be a particularly opportune moment for this to come out again because it has been adapted into a Broadway musical which is doing well for itself in New York, so there could be cross-promotional opportunities there.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sorry if this seems callous, but...

BUY A REGION-FREE PLAYER.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There are only maybe two titles that I want that are not currently available in the U.S., so a region-free player wouldn't really be a worthwhile investment for me right now. Even if it were, that wouldn't fix the issue. There is really no good reason as far as I know why this title isn't easy to find in the U.S.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I always have this title in the back of my mind.

I could never figure out why it never was released domestically on Blu-ray. I mean, c'mon, it's A BRONX TALE.

Also, until I read this thread, had no idea it was available overseas. I think I shall go order it.

EDIT: Just went to Amazon.uk and I don't like the cover (it's not in English). I am going to see if Amazon Australia has it. However, if the only way I can own it is with a non-English cover then so be it.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Also, until I read this thread, had no idea it was available overseas. I think I shall go order it.

Ron, I only knew about the overseas one because it's listed on U.S. Amazon as well here. If you want it, you might just be able to buy it directly through the U.S. site even though the cover makes it clear that the coding is from the UK. $19.96 and Prime eligible, not a bad price either.

https://www.amazon.com/Bronx-Tale-R...TF8&qid=1495399541&sr=1-2&keywords=bronx+tale

If you are a musical fan, I would also recommend the cast album for the Broadway show here: https://www.amazon.com/Bronx-Tale-G...5399840&sr=1-1&keywords=bronx+tale+musical+cd. I've become very taken with it this week ad it's my favorite new score of the season so far.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There are only maybe two titles that I want that are not currently available in the U.S., so a region-free player wouldn't really be a worthwhile investment for me right now. Even if it were, that wouldn't fix the issue. There is really no good reason as far as I know why this title isn't easy to find in the U.S.

All of that's true, but...at the risk of beating a dead horse...I think we're going to be seeing a lot more of this in coming years as the disc market keeps fragmenting. Focus is owned by Universal - there are a ton of Universal titles coming out internationally that the studio isn't putting out here. Same for other labels. If collecting physical discs is important to you, that is, if you're not satisfied longterm with a mix of streaming and discs, a region free player is a good investment towards your future collecting.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Saw this for preorder from Amazon.

Not sure if this is the same overseas version that has been circulating around for some time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saw this for preorder from Amazon.

Not sure if this is the same overseas version that has been circulating around for some time.

It is an import which is why I didn't include it in my Pre-Order Listing. A real clue is that it's being released on a Friday instead of Tuesday. Also, Amazon has noted it's an import without noting any studio or company releasing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks