What's new

A brief note to my Movies friends (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seth

You're on pal:). It will be my treat to The House That Ruth Built (and the Angelica too)! Hope it's real soon.

Call me whenever you want.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm always here Seth, for anything. Shoot me out an email or PM and I'll ready. It's always an adventure when we get together :)

Once again, I'm just so sorry. My mom is 51 and has smoked for nearly 40 years. I've got on her to quit for as long as I can remember, and she gave it a real shot in the last few months but succumbed to the craving. It hurts me knowing what may be looming and I wish there was some way to convey the sense of loss that I will feel if she continues down her current path. Your story has helped.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Seth, as an only child, I've stood in your shoes, and it's a mighty tough place to be. There are no simple or easy choices.

You're enduring, rather early in life, the consequences of a decision that some people never have to face. Among those of us who've had to make a life & death decision for a loved one, there's a tendancy to second guess ourselves: should I have done this instead? What if I had waited? What if I had done that? If I'd only known "X". Did I do enough? Did I do the right thing? And that's normal.

In the final analysis, all anyone can do is the best he or she can - and that's good enough, even though you may not feel it right now. You did the best for your father you possibly could - in fact, exactly what he was relying on you to do for him. You gave to him a great kindness, and you were with him to the last. You didn't kill him - his disease killed him.

My mom always used to say a trouble shared is a trouble halved. I hope your spirits continue to rise. This experience isn't *just* about loss - you've acquired some hard won insight, sooner rather than later: 1. Enjoy the time that is granted to you, fully and completely - especially friends and family, and don't forget to take time to smell the roses, 2.) Don't sweat the small stuff and finally, 3) It's nearly all small stuff.

So start planning those trips, and if you can't make it to the Angelika, I hope you at least make it up to the Music Box. There's a lot of movies and a lot of good times waiting for you.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Again, thanks for all the kind words everyone. I'm sure some of you may have noticed that I've made a return simply from the massive growth of a few threads with my patented long posts. :)

I'm doing as well as can be expected, but mostly I've just been so busy with estate issues and my own 16hr class load this semester. I thought about dropping a class to ease it up, but I'm going to go with the "stay busy" approach to getting past this point.

Tino did give me a couple of nice phone calls which I always enjoy and Matt and I had our most uneventful "get together" yet, waving to each other from across Mackey Arena as we watched the Boilers get Keady his 500th win. On our way up to Purdue my buddy and I had a laugh when it started to lightly snow, thinking about the blizzard trip Matt and I made there and back last winter. :)

So far I'm mostly somber when not extremely busy. Sometimes you see or think of some reminder which catches you off guard and upsets you. The most bittersweet moments are the dreams, often being a dream of my dad and I talking and knowing it's some magical second chance even within the dream.

Unfortunately my dad happened to be my best friend, so there is that hole in my life too, beyond just losing your father. He was one of my main sources of sharing and advice, although in the last 5 years I became the advice giver more and more (NEVER buy your parents a computer ;) ).

Anyway, as much as HTF may only be some internet forum, there are many people here that I have known for years and would consider very good friends even before meeting them in person. I don't think I've been let down yet by an in-person meeting with someone I already got along with online. It's a good community to be a part of and I appreciate it as much now as ever.

Thanks again for the sympathetic ear.

PS - the possible "field of dreams" outcome of this for me would be a chance to go to the Super Bowl, which looks like a strong possibility if the Colts win thanks to some money my father left me. Not enough to waste, but enough for one special circumstance, which the Colts going to the Super Bowl in my home city from just a few years ago would be, especially if they somehow ended up going against the Panthers from my dad's hometown of Charlotte. What an odd convergence it all would be.

So any of you non-Pats fans need to pull for the Colts this weekend. :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Glad to see you're back, Seth. I was happy to be with you at Keady's 500th win...even if we were about 50 yards away from each other ;)

Go Colts!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Seth,
I was already pulling for your Naptown...Peyton played in Tennessee :)

Keep your chin up, and we'll be thinking about you. Welcome back to the HTF.

You are among friends,
Chuck

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Seth, I'm sorry about the loss of your father. I hope everyone in your family is feeling better.

~T

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Seth, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's really hit a nerve with me, as I lost my Dad just over two years ago. My dad was my best-buddy too.

I can't imagine how your experience has affected you. But know that you TOTALLY did the right thing for your Dad. (I have a living will myself.) What a terribly hard, hard thing to do. I admire your courage. You obviously loved your Dad a great deal.

Hang in there...all the best to you.

PS - "Never buy your parents a computer". Truer words were never spoken. (Gotta go...Mom has a BSD.) :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see you back Seth. I’ve been about to post some comments on yet another D.W. Griffith film, and of course would not do so until you were around for some discussion. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks