A Bridge Too Far S.E

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Anthony Neilson, May 29, 2003.

1. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Does anyone know what's happened to the BRIDGE TOO FAR Special Edition ? DVD Debate announced this as being released in mid-May but so far it hasn't appeared. It definitely exists as I've seen the cover art on a number of sites. Amazon France still has it down for release on June 2nd, but though the specs list the Goldman commentary, it doesn't seem to have the documentaries.
    What is it with MGM and their disappearing DVDs ? MISERY has also gone AWOL in R1 and R2, but I ordered it from Australia.You can also get it in France. I'm used to R2
    getting shafted but when it's happening to R1, I'm smelling major rights issues.
    (By the way, the MISERY disc is well worth getting)

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Hi, Tony. [​IMG]

There does indeed seem to be legal issues pertaining to the bonus materials on the set. Hopefully, it will be sorted out soon. Does MGM UK/Europe have a website? I'll check in a minute.

The Goldman commentary for this would surely be worth the price of DVD alone! [​IMG]

I too recently purchased the region 4 edition of Misery. Absolutely superb - a must-have for fans. Goldman's commentary is a real treat - great insight into the screenwriting process. I haven't listened to Reiners' commentary yet. The featurettes are very good, also. Nice anamorphic transfer, but the score, it seems dominate the mix a litte to much - too loud in comparison to the sound effects, dialogue etc, but that's just a minor quibble. Get it out in Britain and America, MGM! [​IMG]

All the best, Anthony!

Gordy

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Yes, I noticed also that it seemed to disappear from e-tailer web sites. I'll only buy it with the commentary. I hope it reappears soon.

4. Werner_R

Werner_R Stunt Coordinator

In the Benelux there doesn't seem to be a problem, Misery SE and A Bridge to Far SE are available over here by MGM, maybe it's only a problem in the UK ?

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I just pre-ordered a copy from EZYDvd in Australia. It is coming in August.

6. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I just received this afternoon the Dutch version of the 2-disc SE of "A Bridge Too Far". I have not watched it yet.

8. Sergio A

Sergio A Stunt Coordinator

Please let us know what you think of the disc- I'm particularly anxious to know if the picture has been remastered as the old one was a bit weak really.

Thanks

9. Sergio A

Sergio A Stunt Coordinator

Well, I just got my copy from Ezy today - the good news is that the extras are wonderful - a terrific audio track featuring Goldman and members of the productions crew and a really useful text track in the styleof the bubblesused for discs like DIE ANOTHER DAY - and then there's all the stuff on the second disc!

The bad news is that it's the same old transfer as before - a rather hazy NTSC to PAL transfer by the looks of things- I'm really gladto have it for the marvellous extras, but the video transfer is a real blow - a genuinely missed opportunity.

10. Chris_Marin

Chris_Marin Stunt Coordinator

You can find our full review of the May 24th release of the UK Region 2 A Bridge Too Far Special Edition here.

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

wonderful news indeed

[​IMG]

12. MikeHughes

MikeHughes Agent

Avoid the german SE release. Approx. 10 minutes have been cut from the film(there never was a longer version in germany if I recall correctly).

13. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

I know a 2 disc Se was released in Japan not to long ago.

It did sport a 16x9 transfer, but I am unsure of the extras that were included.

Dugger

14. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

The Korean 2 disc has been out a while and is fairly cheap.