A Boy & His Dog: Still Non-Anamorphic

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Randy A Salas, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

This classic 1975 sci-fi movie, starring Don Johnson, is set to be re-released on DVD by First Run Features on Nov. 25. I received my review copy (final product) today.

In case anyone is wondering, it's largely the same as the previous two DVD versions (from Lumivision and Slingshot). Of course, the thing most HTFers will want to know is that the disc is still widescreen but non-anamorphic. The quality of the transfer appears to be the same, too.

The extras are basically the same as the other releases: a commentary by director LQ Jones and two trailers. This edition also adds four trailers for other First Run DVDs. There are no liner notes, as in the previous versions, just a First Run catalog--not a deal breaker.

If you have the previous out-of-print DVDs, there is absolutely no reason to buy the upcoming release. But those who have been waiting for this fine cult movie to come back into print, now at least have an option at non-collector's prices. It retails for $24.99.

I remain surprised that a film like this has never been picked up for DVD release by the likes of Criterion, Anchor Bay or Blue Underground.

2. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

Thanks for the info, Randy. I was unaware that it was being rereleased, but I guess I can hang on to my Slingshot edition with its weird jewel-case.

3. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

Thanks I have mine pre-ordered at DDD, I guess I will Keep the order as I want to see the movie. Oh well at least it is OAR.

4. Jon Smith

Jon Smith Stunt Coordinator

Most retailers seem to mark this as anamorphic.

Was it rereleased?