A Bold Leap Forward, New Quantum Leap TV Movie

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Paul Sandhu, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

This is according to the recent article at IGN.

I can't wait for this to happen, it would be a cool idea.

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

There was talks a couple months ago, but they didn't involve Bakula. The idea the execs had was EITHER a tv series with a whole new cast(with Stockwell still in) or a movie with the original cast. I guess they sorta combined the ideas.

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    that would be great if it happened.
    i hope bakula has a significant part in this.

4. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Sam's daugther is Sammy Jo Fuller, from the 5th season episode "Trilogy Part 3." In that episode, when Sam changed history, Al informs him that Sammy Jo went from the gutter (original history) to now being a Project Quantum Leap-er, but she didn't know that Sam was her father (until this new movie). This is a very ingenious way of continuing the story (if it becomes a series). I thought that Season 5 really pushed the envelope and could have gotten even better but it ended there.

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I was sorry to see the series end and leave things open like that for Sam.
    I think a movie would be great but I dont know about a series. His daughter Leaping? I would rather see a whole story where they resolve Sams journey rather than start a new story.

6. Paul Sandhu

Sam was also married, did he have any children besides Sammy Jo.

I really hope this happens, they say Sam's in the 50s. Is that where he was left in the last episode? I remember him dancing with someone.

7. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    I wonder if the writers will acknowledge Sam's lost-love Donna (I don't think she was his wife). It was hinted at that they conceived a child in the episode (Season 4 premiere "The Leap Back") but I don't think it's the case. Maybe Donna will have met and married someone else. In either case, I'm glad it's not over for Quantum Leap.

8. Paul Sandhu

Its too bad that the actor that played Gushi passed away. It would have been nice to see him again.

I wonder what kind of style of clothing Al's got now. Because if I recall the year in the series was 1999 and it ended in 2004 so does that mean its 2014 now?

9. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

Im pretty sure they confirmed that it was his wife it that same episode. For those of you watching, the Sci Fi Channel is showing the series in order, and they final episodes will be airing next week. It think then they start it all over again.

I watched this show as often as I could when it first aired.. I really got into it during the 3rd season. I was 14 or so at the time, and I thought it was great. I never watched the show again... until this year. I noticed that SCI FI was airing it... I caught the final episode earlier this year.. and was blown away by what a great show it was. I have been recording every episode on my DVR, and am absolutly thrilled to see that the series has lost none of its power for me.

Many of my other favorite shows from my youth seem pretty bad, now. (MacGuyver, A-Team, Kinight Rider) But Quantum Leap is just as good now as it was then. Donald Bellasario seems to be the man behind most of my favorite prime time dramas. (Airwolf, Magnum P.I., Quantum Leap) (My other fav tv producer wis Michael Mann)

A few of my favorite episodes are Shock Theater, The Leap Home, Trilogy, Evil Leaper, Leap For Lisa, Mirror Image. In the episode where Sam meets his daughter... thats good tv.

As long as Bellasario is involved, Im sure the new show will be good. I would almost prefer it be a series for the Sci Fi Channel, because there it could flourish without having to pander the will of big network execs, with fear of being subject to the demand of off-the-charts-ratings or constant time slot changes.

10. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator

Because of issues with her father, Donna originally left Sam at the alter. However, early in his leaping, Sam leaped into a professor of Donna's and managed to help her work out her issues with her father. Later, Sam leaped home and then discovered that he indeed had married Donna after he changed history.

As for Sammy Jo, she was conceived in mid-June 1966, and thus born in approximately March 1967. They say that she will be in her late 30's when she leaps, so that range may be 35-39 years old. That would mean she would be leaping in somewhere between the years 2002 and 2006.

When Sam leaped the first time, it was 1995. It was 1999 by the time of the final episode. So two years will have passed for Sam when Sammy Jo comes looking for him.

11. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

I really don't know what the stated ambiguity regarding the ending of Quantum Leap is. As I recall, Sam was given the choice to either return to his time frame, or to continue leaping and fixing problems. There was some indication that he wasn't the only leaper (maybe his daughter, if the new MFTV movie/series comes about).

Personally I always believed that Sam chose to continue to leap.

12. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Some of the episodes of Quantum Leap seem much more meaningful now then they did even when I watched them new. It's one of those great series that on occassion really crossed the high bar.

13. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

There was resolution to Sam's journey - but it was that he never returned home. We know that, because we were told this in the last episode. To try and introduce a new resolution to the story would be a denial of how the original series ended.

14. Paul Sandhu

I got some bad news. In Scott Bakula's chat event with StarTrek.com someone asked a question about Quantum Leap:

I guess that means Sam won't be leaping onto our tvs anytime soon except in reruns and DVDs. I doubt this will happen because I think Donald P. Bellisario has a contract with Paramout (JAG and NCIS are both made by Paramount) so I doubt we will see it happen anytime soon.

15. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Thanks Scott for sounding overly eager to give back to your fans of Quantum Leap, especially since we've had to sit through 4 years of you Boldly going Nowhere!

16. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

If you read the transcript of the Scott Bakula chat, he's very fond of Quantum Leap. He's just saying he has not been involved or contacted regarding the new Quantum Leap project.

17. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

No where do I see him say "I am not, nor will I not, make a Quantum Leap movie and/or series." With "Enterprise" on the way out he certainly will be available and approachable.

18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

That would be could. I remember my mother used to mention being a fan of the show. My roommate and I are up late some nights when the reruns air of Scifi. It's amazing how well that show was held up. They wisely avoided "1999" era technobabble that would turn future audiences off, Al's clothing styles aside. Some really classic stories in there, and a really awesome concept. Considering that I'm unable to sum it up in a single sentence, I'm amazed it was ever greenlit to begin with.

I agree that Sam shouldn't be brought home, but it would be nice if we could reconnect with him on some of his jumps. Maybe there are jumps when he and his daughter as in the same universe at the same time, and Sam could make a reappearance. They could have fun jumping from viewpoint to viewpoint, too. I.e. We could Scott Bakula when at Sam's point of view and whoever he leaped into from his daughter's point of view. The emotional scenes could be presented from Al's point-of-view, where we could see both the Scott and whoever plays the new lead. So many possibilities.

19. Paul Sandhu

I can't believe I didn't pick up on that. So lets keep our fingers crossed. Before we get our hopes up we need word from NBC and Donald Bellisario.

20. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator