What's new

A Blu-ray player [Sony BDP-S550] that will do EVERYTHING! (Verified) (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
The guys at AVS suggested a wireless bridge. I'd like to know if there are better ones out there than the old standby Linksys models before I plunk down $70 to $100 for one.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I bought a wireless Linksys bridge a few years back for my ReplayTV. While it works well, it seems to hang every month and I need to unplug it and plug it back in (then it's fine again).

I can't confirm if there's some setting or something else (like interference being that it's in my kitchen) causing this, but when it works, it seems reliable...it's just that if I forget to 'kick' it every month or so, my ReplayTV can't connect to it's service.

NOTE: My bridge is a B-Bridge, I don't know if the G's are better, but since my ReplayTV does it's updates overnight, I wasn't concerned about spending the $$ for the faster model.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

My father has the G bridge, and it is always going down. I keep telling him that with all the time and money he has already spent trying to keep that bridge running, he could have purchased a Playstation 3 to store and play his music collection.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, it'd be good to know which are the best. In my case the thing would have to go through at least one wall. I guess I could put the bridge on the top of the entertainment unit, so it wouldn't have to penetrate that.

LilRed2

Grip
Real Name
John
Any guess-timates of when the new Panasonics will be available?

If a person's receiver (Onkyo SR605) will decode all of the audio formats, what benefit might be obtained by getting the 55 versus the 35?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link on the Panny 55. I've been pretty unhappy with my Sony DVD players post-first generation (which were great machines), so I'm pleased to spend my BD money some place else.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Divx and maybe build quality.

Are the terms bridge and access point used interchangeably/refer to the same thing? For those whose router is upstairs and BD/HD DVD players are downstairs, this isn't an elegant solution, since the access point has to be wired to the router, right??

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There are wireless bridge devices. I'm not sure about bridge and access point being the same thing. Someone else will have to answer that.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
There are dedicated wireless bridges and there are wireless access points that can be used in "bridge mode."

The problem is that dedicated bridges seem hard to find and tend to be expensive (I've never even seen an N bridge). On the other hand, the Linksys routers/access points with bridge seem to say they only work with other Linksys products. Is this really an issue?

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
I ordered my S550 last night and it has been shipped today!!!! Now I just need to get my new receiver and I will be all set.

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
I would like to know that as well. From looking at he Sony site I would have to guess, NO. The way it reads is that it is sent via HDMI. I hope I am wrong!! I have a Denon 5800. It is a bit on the old side but still works great so I hate to have to buy a new receiver.

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
Here is the text from the Sony site.

Dolby® TrueHD internal decoding
Dolby® TrueHD internal decoding and bitstream output via HDMI™ for the Dolby TrueHD and dts®-HD (Master Audio and High Resolution Audio) codes delivers studio quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment like Blu-ray Disc™ movies, with up to 7.1 channels of surround sound that is virtually indistinguishable from the original studio version.

Boss Hogg

Grip
Real Name
John
New to the site...good to see so many knowledgeable people!!!
I have a question about the Sony s550 and the Pioneer BDP-51FD. These both have 7.1 analog outputs. Does the player decode DTS-HD and Dolby Tru HD and send these decoded signals to the 7.1 analog outputs or only to the HDMI? I have a Denon receiver that has HDMI in/out, but does not decode the aforementioned formats. It does have 7.1 analog inputs though.
If this hookup will work I won't need a new receiver.
Thanks in advance...
JOHN

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Well, it looks like the player may decode DTS-MA internally after all. From the owner's manual:

People are started to get the player. If the reports are good, I may get it after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks