What's new

A Blu-ray audio newbie question. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm still familiarizing myself with the wonderful world of Blu-ray and have a question regarding the audio, do I need a special reciever to get Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD?

I've also noticed that on certain titles in the audio set-up menu Dolby Digital Uncompressed is offered, what is that exactly? I know what it SOUNDS like, it sounds like I can get DD uncompressed audio but whenever I select it my reciever gives me nothing but Dolby Pro-Logic II.

Is there a setting that i'm missing or can't I use that feature until I get the new reciever I asked about?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It depends on your Blu-Ray player John. Your AVR will not need to do the decoding of any audio format that the player decodes internally. For example if your AVR has 5.1 analog inputs and your player will decode TrueHD and output via 5.1 analog, then your receiver does not need to do the decoding—it just takes the analog audio data and makes music.

I’m reluctant to comment on your DD issue without knowing the make and model of your receiver.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ahh, I gotcha, but for furthur help the make and model of both my player and my reciever is the Sony BDP-S300 and an Onkyo TX-SR503.

Thanks, Lew. :emoji_thumbsup:

troy evans

Screenwriter
John, I used to have the Sony BDP-S300 and it was a good player for me. It didn't have the Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD or Master. The best it did was DD plus. They may eventually release a firmware update for it, but, I got tired of waiting and sold mine for $200.00. I purchased the Samsung BDP1500 and have been extremely happy with that decission. Does your receiver have 5.1 audio jacks?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Ah, ah well, i'm a patient guy, I can wait a while for that. I've noticed (and my neighbors too I would imagine lol) that even BD DD 5.1 is superior to DVD DD as evidenced by my comparing the Cloverfield BD with it's DVD counterpart, the difference was quite staggering.

Yes my reciever does offer 5.1 jacks, this is how I achieve DD Plus I would imagine?

troy evans

Screenwriter
Yes, I noticed a marked improvement in sound myself. Some will say it isn't there but I beg to differ. Yes, you sould be very pleased with the DD plus using the 5.1 jacks. Hopefully, they will firmware this puppy and then it'll rock. I just couldn't wait and once I got my Onkyo 605 I was chompin at the bit to sample the hi-def audio. When the time does come for you to enjoy these new audio codecs you will be very impressed. :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I can't wait for that! One more question, i've never used the 5.1 jacks on my reciever and so I never bothered buying cables for them, do they sell specific sets of cables that I would use for that purpose?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There may well be some cables that are bundled for this purpose John. But pretty much any cables with RCA jacks will work. You know more than enough to stay away from either the high-priced, heavily marketed brands and from the very cheap ones, so I won’t presume to advise on selection. If you have a few spare ones lying around, just plug them in and see how you feel.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Three sets of these will cost less than $10 plus shipping. They are monoprices "premium" line of cables which are much better than the standard ones and only cost a few pennies more. And they are not like the cheap ones that Lew advised against. They are of very good quality which belies their price.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks for the link, Gene, but i'll be going out today so i'll probably pick up a set of Acoustic Research cables, those are what I usually get when i'm in a cable pinch. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks