A bit of nostalga

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David G. Lee, Jan 17, 2003.

1. David G. Lee

David G. Lee Auditioning

Doing some cleaning up I found the first pair of speakers I built 35 years ago as an impoverished final year Uni Student. The leads have been cut off so I didn't plug them in to see how they sounded but I pulled them apart out of curiosity to see what I put in them.

I built them from plans in an Audiophile Magazine at the time.

They were 1 cubic foot "Slot Vented" (13 1/4"x8" slots in the back) The drivers were an 8" Rola mid/bass(stamped C8MX00 65/8)and a 5" Rola tweeter stamped 5FX0 128/15. The crossover was a pair of 2Mf caps in series (probably couldn't buy a 1Mf at the time) The tweeter is fully enclosed and shielded. The box is lined with poly audio wadding and although cheap and nasty they were my pride and joy for 5 years until I upgraded. They were used by the kids in the rumpus room for another 10 years after that.

Silverfish have eaten a couple of small holes in the pleated mounting surround on one of the 8" drivers.

I wonder if my HT project speakers will last 35 years?

2. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

hopefully my tempest will, no way in hell can i afford shelling out 450 again for a deccent sub.