What's new

a bit dissapointed with the stryke 15 performance on TN Data list (1 Viewer)

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,
Just to confirm about the eggshell finish, can you see the seams in the edges? What I'm wondering is if you where to use Bondo or anything to smooth them out would it hold up to the pressures and not split revealing the seam?
Julian,
I'm mixed, I actually like both just as much but I like to be different and there are a lot of Sonotube subs in DIY so I'm leaning towards boxes.
Pat,
Damn pat I had to look that up for the exact meaning although I got the jest of without needing to. :) I think you used it in the wrong context though as it means about ones own organs.
Maybe though, nah I tend to put the Sonotubes to shame, no competition there.
wink.gif

Julian Data

Second Unit
Very good points, "XO GOD Patrick"! :D
I don't doubt one bit that doing XO are a never ending process in getting one design that is per one's tastes.
Terry,
I get the idea where you are coming from. Doing a tube is easy and quick yet I think my "traditionalist" mindset is set.
I was reading Bob'x reply about subs should be "heard and not seen" and I just might drop the idea of doing matte black and rosewood on the box. Ala Aerial SW12 appearence.
------------------

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Pat, you'd be correct! My wrong.
Julian,
NOOOO, don't think that way. Appearance is worth almost as much as sound in my book. Nothing else kills me more to see a great performing item look like it was made in someone's back yard with a handsaw and a staple gun. I find people are 10 times more impressed when they assume the item is store bought and then find out you made it yourself.

Bob Sorel

Stunt Coordinator
quote: Just to confirm about the eggshell finish, can you see the seams in the edges? What I'm wondering is if you where to use Bondo or anything to smooth them out would it hold up to the pressures and not split revealing the seam?[/quote]
Terry, I used wood filler as "bondo" on all the seams, just to make sure that they wouldn't be visible, and then sanded the cabinet to death before painting. The enclosure, with 1.5" thick MDF on all sides and a shelf brace in the middle, is rock solid, with no flexing at all, and the internal pressures are of no concern :)
quote: That's funny how your wife prefers the tube. What do you prefer?
I miss the box.[/quote]
biggrin.gif
....too funny!
quote: Remember the keyword for today and tomorrow is INTERACTION. Never forget the push-pull effects of all the different components that make up a music reproduction system in the home. It'll feel like walking a high-wire without a net sometimes when you get into the XO tweaking phase (I'll bet, even when you have the nice software to go with it).[/quote]
Great advice, Pat! In just setting up my subwoofer correctly, I have discovered interaction between my mains, surrounds, and the subs response, and I am sure that this will only get worse as I start tweaking XO's. INTERACTION...I won't forget it!

Julian Data

Second Unit
Terry,
Very true!
wink.gif
Coincidence that my rosewood stantos sample came in today though. Maybe it's a sign for me to stay on the project as planned.
laugh.gif

Pat,
If you are first grader then I must be in diapers!
eek.gif
:)
Bob,
Do you have a pic of your HT? I would like to see it.
------------------

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The HE 15 does everything I need and want to perfection, and at the levels I am already at another 1.5 dbs seems pretty meaningless, so my subwoofer building career ends here
Certainly a sane way of looking at things, Bob. I found Julian's graphs (presumably where the 1.5db reference came from?) extremely informative and revealing for all of the drivers listed.
A little OT. As a musician, also, I find that the pursuit (or even the finding) of perfection in the reproduction of music pales in comparison with actually making it.

Bob Sorel

Stunt Coordinator
A little OT. As a musician, also, I find that the pursuit (or even the finding) of perfection in the reproduction of music pales in comparison with actually making it.
Absolutely!! It's very refreshing to find someone else who understands that concept, and your wording is just perfect
biggrin.gif
You are a musician!

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,
I think you misunderstood. I was not implying that your sub looks like crap, I already said it looks awesome!
Marquee 9500LC! Nice projector.
I presume you're going the HTPC route? I ended up doing a HTPC for Rich the owner of that Dual Mass to use with his G15/Da Lite 139X78 and the results were unbelievable.

Bob Sorel

Stunt Coordinator
I presume you're going the HTPC route?
Yup. I have a Marquee 8000 right now and have been using a Radeon based HTPC with it for quite some time, and it looks pretty awesome, but after going to the show in New York last month and seeing a couple of 9" CRT projectors (and how much better they looked than my 8" unit), I just had to pony up the dough and get me one. I'll be broke for the next couple of years, but it'll be worth it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks