A better copy/backup solution?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeff Perry, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Jeff Perry

Jeff Perry Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

With the vast knowledge here, I was hoping someone could recommend a better copy or backup solution for Windows 2000.

The problem: I have 100+GB of data to backup. I want to copy it from a network volume on my server to a local hard drive on my PC. I just want a simple copy. I don't want the data stored in some proprietary format, zipped, in a single giant file, or some other special idea. Trying to "copy and paste" within Windows is like pulling teeth, and is next to impossible with this much data. Also, I was hoping to find something that would "mirror" or take a "snapshot" of the disk. So if I've deleted/changed files on the primary volume since the last backup, I want them deleted/changed from the backup volume as well. It would also be nice if subsequent backups could be "incremental" and only backup changed/new data.

If this were Unix I'd just use rsync and be done with it, but it's not, so I can't.

Can anyone recommend a solution for me? I was hoping to find a cheap/free backup solution that can simply copy from a network drive to a local drive with "mirror" or "snapshot" type features. Either that, or a more efficient copy utility that won't say "Preparing to copy" for an hour while eating up all of the CPU time on my dual 2.4Ghz Xeon box.

Thank you, -Jeff.

2. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Sounds like a job for an exteneral hard drive. I've had good luck with Maxtor drives. This will probably cost more than you had in mind, but will probably work the best.

3. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Possibly the simplest and cheapest way to copy from one formatted disc to another with or without network support is to use the XCOPY command in the command prompt window. Type "help xcopy" for a full list of supported parameters. For your initial copy, try

xcopy s: d: /s /c /h /r /e /k /y

where s: is your source drive and d: is your destination drive. Afterwards, add the /D parameter to only copy newer files to the destination drive.

The XCOPY command is much faster than dragging and dropping folders from the desktop. However, 100 GB of data will still take a very long time to copy even with all the drives located on the same machine. We're talking between three and five hours here.

4. Jeff Perry

Seth - I've actually got two 120GB hard drives I am going to use for backup, and a removable drive tray in my PC so I can swap them easily.

Francois: I didn't even think about xcopy. I've used it many times before, but it didn't even occur to me. Thank you!

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I'll go ahead and use xcopy for now so I can at least get one backup taken. The only feature xcopy lacks for me is the ability to delete destination files that don't exist on the source. (If I delete data on the primary disk, when I run the next incremental backup, I want the previously backed up data to be deleted to match the source.) I suppose I can just wipe the disk every time before starting a new backup, but, that kind of defeats the point of incrementals.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

If I missed it, I'm sorry but if you are copying the OS, xcopy won't work. It will stop when it runs into a file in use.

If this is just data, xcopy is great but you could run a DOS batch file and delete what was on your backup before the new files are copied over.

Glenn

6. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Jeff,

My external came with software for using the drive for backups. You may want to look into that.

7. ClintB

ClintB Auditioning

Jeff,

Download a copy of xxcopy and see if its switches will allow you to delete orphaned files. xxcopy.com

8. Jeff Perry

Nope, not copying the OS. Just a data volume. But, good to know that xcopy can't copy files in use. There is a good chance some files could be in use during a copy. /C would keep it copying, but then I'd miss some files. Not good.

Thanks for the tip on xxcopy. I'll look into it.

9. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

I use Robocopy.exe at work all the time. It should be available online... if you have access to an NT/2000 resource kit, it's in there as well.

Allows you to carry permissions and all sorts of other things.