A Best Buy Bummer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carl Miller, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Not a huge deal, but surprising nonetheless. I purchased 3 CD's online at BestBuy.com on Nov. 2, selected the free delivery option and still haven't gotten them.

After 2 weeks since the order, I checked out the status of my order online. I saw where the order was shipped, and where it went from Illinois to Jersey but then saw a message telling me the delivery was returned to sender on the 15th due to an incomplete address. The address was complete and correct, so I dropped Best Buy an e-mail asking what the re-shipping policy is, and stating that if it wouldn't be expedited, I wanted a refund.

The reply was timely, but odd. It stated that my order wasn't returned to sender, but rather the order tracking feature on their site doesn't work for items shipped USPS and that my order should arrive on the 19th. Of course I'm wondering why the feature is available if this is the case, and why there was tracking information there at all.

I was also surprised to learn from this e-mail that undeliverable orders are automatically canceled when the items come back. The e-mail stated that I'd have to re-order the items, and that if I wanted a faster shipping method I'd have to select a different method and pay the applicable rate.

Canceling the order automatically without even bothering to look into whether there was an error on their part seems a poor business practice to me. I know where I live, my address is valid, and I checked it carefully as I always do to make sure it was correct. To make the customer wait 15 days only to find out that the order was fouled up due to their own error, and then to make absolutely no effort to satisfy the customer is a shoddy way to conduct business.

And speaking of waiting..If I do get my order on the 19th, (and I'm skeptical about this) why on earth does it take Best Buy 17 days to fulfill a CD order of items that were listed as in stock? Do they deliver by Mule?

I sell books from time to time on Ebay and usually send them media mail at the buyers request. None of my shipments have ever taken this long, not even from NY to California. I've ordered plenty of CD's from Amazon using their Super Saver shipping and never waited more than a week for the items. And on top of that, the one time I had a problem with an order from Amazon, they bent over backwards to make it right.

Whether I get the CD's or not, Best Buy's service and policies are puzzling and unsatisfactory to me. They're off my list of stores I'd shop at, online or otherwise.

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I wonder if Best Buy uses Drop Ship Express??

BN.com (Barnes & Noble) does. DSE is an intermediary between BN and the post office. What stinks is, the e-tailer will hand off the package to DSE and consider it shipped. DSE will then give it to the USPS, but this may take a few days, delaying your order for no reason (well the reason is that the e-tailer saves money by using DSE.)

The worst part is that the e-tailer considers your order shipped and will inform you of this; meanwhile your order sits in a warehouse somewhere, not even in the hands of the USPS. If I sell something on eBay and, after receiving payment, give it to my wife and say "Here, take this to the post office whenever you have a chance", is that considered shipping it? No.

So be careful of the 'free shipping' deals that are out there. There's no such thing as a free ... you know the rest.

3. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

That's a good question Greg, and I'd be curious to find out if they do. It would explain the extremely slow shipping.

But, I've learned my lesson. I'm sticking with Amazon for my online CD purchases.

4. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Just a follow up:
    Apparently, Best Buy's order tracking system works just fine as my CD's were indeed returned to them. The e-mail I received notifying me of this said "we have received the items you returned to us". Interesting, since I never got the items to begin with.
    Then, this morning I received an e-mail thanking me for my purchase and urging me to return to BestBuy.com so that I can continue to enjoy the same great prices and service at their web site.
    Laughable.