What's new

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I don't think its "gatekeeping" inside the community as it is within the industry itself. I mean planned obsolescence has made 99% of receivers made between 2008 and 2016 unusable in a 4k environment, unless you daisy chain with ARC. Nothing we do here is future proof, fall behind and you're gonna drown.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sure. A small subset of the forum are angry that they can’t tell people what is and what is not a home theater. One of them is offended that I linked an article about toxic gatekeeping in gaming. Nothing has changed as far as forum rules go. And people who are offended are welcome to mail [email protected]

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Merriam-Webster

Definition of home theater

: an entertainment system for the home that usually consists of a large television with video components (such as a DVD player and VCR) and an audio system offering surround sound​

Are we done now. LOL ;)

Cheers!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My most humble suggestion is possibly not to get so wrapped up in one phrase. If there's someone who has interest in movies and all they can afford is a second hand, 24" LCD and a cheap soundbar, then that's all they can afford. What is accomplished by putting them down? If they want to feel included and be encouraged by being allowed to call that their home theater, what harm is done? Especially if they aspire to something better.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My most humble suggestion is possibly not to get so wrapped up in one phrase. If there's someone who has interest in movies and all they can afford is a second hand, 24" LCD and a cheap soundbar, then that's all they can afford. What is accomplished by putting them down? If they want to feel included and be encouraged by being allowed to call that their home theater, what harm is done? Especially if they aspire to something better.
Well said. As an enthusiast I am super excited when I see people at the beginning stages of this amazing hobby. We all started there. It's a journey I've been on for decades and I'm much more interested in helping people along than any sort of academic classifications.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Since this got bumped for me today by new likes I’d like to suggest @Todd Erwin re-release his awesome article without this baggage. Since this rev is already weighed down I’m just gonna add this here:
Perhaps I will revisit as we get closer to the holidays (and hopefully the supply chain issues further reverse themselves).

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
As far as I am concerned any living room can be a home theater even if your still rocking a small tv and a VHS player watching movies from tape. I see a home theater as a space you enjoy movies in even if it is a shared space. I have a very decent set up in my living room because it is the only space I can use for it and I consider it to be a home theater. Now I would never consider it a dedicated home theater as that IMHO would require a dedicated room used solely for watching movies and even listening to music and playing games if one chooses to do so. I have been in this hobby ever since I started watching movies on a small 27" CRT and my movies where on VHS tape so that should give you an idea of how long I have been in this hobby.

So building on what John said about does the use of a surround sound receiver or even a stereo receiver mean one doesn't have a home theater?

Does the use of a 55" display mean that person doesn't have a home theater?

I know someone who has a 35mm film projector with a dedicated room and movies on film, now that is a home theater! ;)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Perhaps there should have been 2 threads for this subject: "A Beginner's Guide to Home Theater" and "Makeshift Home Theater: Getting the Most From your Home Entertainmnt System" (or "MHT: A Guide to Upgrading Your Home Wall Unit")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks