A Beautiful Mind, written by...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Chan, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

So I saw the preview for A Beautiful Mind. Looks interesting; directed by the fairly reliable Ron Howard. Good cast: if Russell Crowe and Ed Harris aren't enough, there's Jennifer Connelly.

But at the very end, I noticed that it was written by Akiva Goldsman, who wrote Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, and Lost In Space, among others. Not a good sign.

I did check IMDb and it's based on a book, so maybe not all is lost.

//Ken

2. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Ken-

I have a buddy who used to work in developement (ie script management) at a large production company and he actually had the chance to read A Beautiful Mind about a year ago. Understand, this guy hates Goldsman more than you and I probably do. So it came as a great shock when he reported that the script was in his words "brilliant" and "incredibly skillful". His theory: that the big bugets and excitement of the Batman films and LIS had really put the zap on his writing mind, to paraphrase Apocalypse Now. But the better material and serious nature of ABM forced him to rise to the occaision. So count me as still skeptical, but hopeful.

- Guy

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Akiva Goldsman is the Milli Vanilli of screenwriters. I'm hoping A Beautiful Mind will be solid, but this writer just stinks!

4. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

This movie looks fantastic though. I'm just hoping it turns out to be as good as I'm thinking it's gonna be. The trailer show a ton of promise.

5. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

Last year, there was a casting call for extras in A Beautiful Mind in New York City. Literally thousands of people came by hoping to be chosen as extras, and the casting coordinator for the movie went up onstage (the call was being done in an old theater) and gave a spiel for everyone. Essentially he ended up performing the entire movie and got really emotional. Me and some friends of mine nearly burst out laughing many times, it was so ludicrous. Anyway, when it came to Q&A, someone asked who had written the movie. The guy responded with the name of the author of the novel. I'm sure if he had responded with "Akiva Goldsman" I would have burst out laughing. So either the guy wasn't entirely sure who had written and had made a mistake, or was embarassed that it was Goldsman. There is an odd plot twist at some point in the movie, which seemed pretty bizarre in the guy's recounting of the story. Depending on how it's handled, it could work, or it could not. Why is it that so many movies nowadays have these twists? It's as if every movie has become a Hitchcock movie.

6. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I am half-way through the book by Sylvia Nassar. From the previews that I have seen, and some word of mouth that I have heard about the movie, the movie is very loosely based on the book. I hope that they didn't take too much dramatic license with the actual life of John Forbes Nash Jr. The book has been a slow read for me, as it is full of descriptive details, but I hope to finish it soon. I am looking forward to the screen adaptation.