A Beautiful Mind subtitles on actors faces.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Just a thing I noticed. Dunno if anyone has posted this already.

I turned on the English subtitles and noticed it seems they're trying to match the subtitles with the actor geographically on screen. That's fine and dandy but in a few spots the subtitles end up right on the faces of the actors. It seems the person doing the subtitles got a little carried away with this feature.

Panasonic RP91 with Toshiba CW34XC2 34" widescreen progressive scan TV.

P.S. I liked the movie overall but didn't see what all the hype was about.

2. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    That is so stupid when they do that!
    I dont understand why the subtitle must be put over the whole screen?
    All our tv shows that are not in Swedish are subtitled, but its never done this way...

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

They obviously just converted them from closed captions. With CC it's commonplace to place the dialogue or sound effect where it's occuring

I guess since most countries DON'T have CC, you aren't familiar with the practice

4. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Ok, now I get it!
    Thanks

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Sounds like they didn't take into account how they'd look on a widescreen TV- I have a 4x3 and notice the Universal subtitles try to be done the same way as the TV-decoded closed captions, though Universal refuses to put those on their DVDs.

6. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

I was very annoyed by this as well. I always watch English movies with subtitles on during the first viewing. Although my English is good, I sometimes have problems with dialects and obscure words. There's a lot of actors who could use some speach-coaching too [​IMG]
    It's a shame most of the time the subtitles are for the hearing impaired only. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing they're on the disk, but would it be too difficult to have a set of subs without it commenting on every bird chirping or door closing? I live in Belgium. There's hardly any dubbing going on over here (thank god), so we're used to subtitles just translating text.
    Placing the text on the characters faces is going a little too far for me too. I had to turn them off, they were filling more than half of the screen. But, in these cases, I use my headphones and don't miss a thing [​IMG]