A Battle Has Been Won In The War Against MAR!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Clinton McClure, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Last night while I was in Wal~Mart picking up a new printer cartridge, I stumbled across a new HDTV kiosk which had been set up within the past few days. While the kiosk was covered with plasma and tube HD monitors like most are, I noticed a couple things.

1. - All the monitors are 16X9 aspect ratio displaying a widescreen HD program.

2. - There is a sign on one side of the kiosk describing the advantages of HD resolution (1080i, etc...) over standard resolution. On the other side of the kiosk is a sign which I had to look at twice and, upon reading it again, almost shouted and threw my new printer cartridge to the heavens in Kubrickian glee. There was a picture of a 4:3 box labeled 'standard' and a 16:9 box labeled 'widescreen'. I can't remember the exact wording but it was something to the effect of With widescreen, the image fills your entire screen and shows up to 45% more picture than the cropped pan & scan image used for normal movies. Then it goes on to say something to the effect of... Widescreen shows the entire picture like you see it in a movie theater.

Also while I was there, I found the unrated versions of Bad(der) Santa and Eurotrip.

I know we still have a long way to go in winning the war against MAR, but I think this was a good blow dealt by the OAR side.

2. John Alderson

John Alderson Supporting Actor

Not bad, except that for movies that DO show 45% more picture than P&S (2.35:1), they STILL won't fill the entire 16:9 screen. People will still complain... I bet 16:9 MAR versions of 2.35 films are not far in the future for DVD.

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    Wow! Some people are so pessimistic that they refuse to see the good in news reports. Whatever the news is, they complain that it's not good enough! It makes me sad to think that those kind of people cannot rejoice at hearing good news.

But enough of that rant. I think that it's great news that the likes of Wal-Mart is making an effort to educate people. Maybe this is a new test kiosk, and they will make their way to other Wal-Mart stores soon. If anyone else notices such a dispay at their Wal-Mart, please report it.

You can do your part to help educate even more people by downloading my educational flyers at Widescreen Advocate

Clinton, if you have a digital camera, I am sure our members would like to see the kiosk.

4. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt

The Wal-Mart close to my house has had this for a while now. [​IMG]

5. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

The Wal-Marts near me have had these for a while now too.

The other day, though, I was in Sam's and they were playing a MAR version of LOTR:ROTK on their 16:9 plasmas/lcds. It made me physically ill to look at it.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Great news! I think that this July 1st was the cut-off date for 4:3 TV's, so the other stores should have them too. The 'extra' displays are a bonus, though.

We all know that all movies won't fit perfectly on a WS set, but it would be hard to argue the fact that 16:9 is a lot better than 4:3 (unless you're going to nitpick about the old movies)!

Glenn

7. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    What do you mean by cut off date for 4x3 TV's?

8. Daniel`D

Daniel`D Stunt Coordinator

I was shocked by the fact that my local Wal-Mart had the Bad(der) Santa. Too bad my Wal-Mart didn't have the unrated EuroTrip, I had to travel an hour to the nearest store that's not a walmart to get it.

9. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Break out the champagne! [​IMG]

10. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

What cut off are you referring to? Unfortunately 4:3s are alive and well.

11. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    No digital camera Joshua, sorry. I might take a lawn chair with me when I go again tomorrow so I can bask in the glory! [​IMG] Now, if only Wal~Mart would begin to train their electronics employees in the ways of OAR...

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Alive and well? It's only the 4th day into the month! [​IMG]

I thought I heard that dealers cannot accept delivery (to their stores/warehouses?) of 4:3's from now on. I'm sure the existing inventory doesn't count, of course. I can't see major retailors jumping on the WS bandwagon for any other reason.

It's either that or digital tuners becoming mandatory on all new sets.

Glenn

13. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

Well, I'd also like to see Walmart stock a higher ratio of widescreen titles. Whenever I get a new release there, it always seems like there's at least 3 times as many full screen titles.

14. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Perhaps its because many people are not buyting the P&S so there are just that many more of the Fullscreen left on the shelves. [​IMG]

15. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Actually, July 1st was the date for CableCards, and I think it was the date that all 36" TVs or larger must have digital tuners.

16. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I think this may be the bigger story.
    I'm really glad to hear about the 16x9 display, but I feel that's inevitable.
    Any hint that WalMart is throwing in the towel on censorship is joyous news.

Of course, we're all going to hell now. [​IMG]

17. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

If that were true, manufacturers wouldn't be introducing new 4:3 models on the market, and Sanyo just did less than two months ago.

18. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Cable cards! That was it! Thanks.

With the cable cards - that would be digital - and 1080i, so there would be more WS sets available. I really feel sorry for anyone coming out with a new 4:3 set now. The key phrase here would be - dump them on the market, before we're stuck with them!

Glenn

19. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Down with 4:3! [​IMG]

20. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

The Wal*Mart SuperCenter near me set up the 16:9 widescreen HDTVs just a few weeks ago. Not only that - They completely reorganized the Electronics Department. A lot of the DVDs (new releases, box sets, TV on DVD) used to be locked behind glass, but now everything is out in the open. They had "Bad(der) Santa" in stock, but I didn't see the Unrated/Widescreen "Eurotrip." The DVD selection is much bigger too. I noticed titles I've never seen at Wal*Mart before. They had "The Hills Have Eyes," but strangely, it was a stripped down 1 disc edition with the 16:9 widescreen transfer and the commentary track. Disc 2, with all of the other extras, had been aborted.