A+B speakers on with DD and DTS

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by anthony_b, Aug 2, 2003.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'm planning to move my surround speakers up to the front and hook them up thru the B terminals on my reciever and add a new pair of rear speakers....My question is, during DVD playback on DD/DTS will my "B" speakers be used also ?
    In other words, not just my "A" speakers together with my new rears. I'm planning on doing this:

front channels: 1pair (a) plus 1pair (b)
    center
    rear

will it put a strain on my receiver ?

2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

If I understand your question, the answer is no, the 'B' speakers will not play during DD or DTS tracks. I believe most receivers will allow a 'B' output when only the front pair are playing stereo. If you were to press the 'B' button on the receiver while a DD or DTS track were playing, all the speakers would probably shut off except the 'B' pair. This is simply for protection of the receiver.

If you were to wire the speakers so both pairs were playing off the 'A' output, it would indeed put a strain on the receiver. However, I think there is a way to wire up the two pairs together so they do not drop below an acceptable impedance level. Perhaps someone will chime in with that.

How come you want to do this? I'm assuming you are looking for more decibel output from the fronts?

My answer only applies if I do indeed understand your question. Perhaps you should elaborate...

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

James, that was exactly what I thought..I was basically trying to emulate a 4 woofer/midrange "mega" tower..[​IMG] but if the "B" speaker will not come on during DD/DTS then I'll forget about the experiment. Thanks.

4. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

James is correct,

Not possible

5. scott besancon

I have to differ on this. You did not say what type of equipment you have though. I have a Denon that does all of my proccessing and it provides the option to run both A&B surrounds at the same time. I use this for DD,DTS, and for playback of DVD Audio through the external input. I have 2 pairs of side surrounds and a rear center in my setup.

scooter

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I have an Onkyo 575x....maybe I'll try it.

7. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Well, now I can be even more positive in my initial post. I was using the 575x when I tried what you want to do. It will definitely not work.

Edit: I don't even think you need to hook everything up to test this. Simply play a 5 channel DD or DTS signal through your current setup and press the speakers 'B' button. You'll see what happens. I learned the hard way; moved everything around, bought more speaker wire, set it all up, then pressed the button. No go...

8. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

From what I understand,

When using the "A" speakers in a 5.1 config, the "B" speakers would be used soley for a second zone on advanced receivers.

9. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

hmmm... I have my b speakers set up in a different room and when I forget to turn them off they play whatever the a speakers are including 5.1 movies etc. My receiver is a Yamaha rxv 3000, I don't know if that's the difference.

10. scott besancon

My denon has a multi room function on it. I can still play 5.1 using both rear A&B speakers and at the same time I can send a different signal to my outdoor speakers. Now I do have to use a seperate receiver for the outdoor speakers. I'm not sure how many other manufactures are doing it like this.