A+B pseudo-biamping?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DanCopeland, Apr 18, 2004.

1. DanCopeland

DanCopeland Extra

I'm new to audiophile stereo and have made a starter system from B&W CDM1NTs and a Rotel RA-01 integrated amp. I still need to replace my lousy Radio Shack speaker wires and I'm contemplating my options.

The speakers have posts for biwiring. I've read a lot about biwiring here and I'm convinced the gains would be negligible. But here's my idea: what if I run two pairs of wire to each speaker, one to high and one to low, and then connect, for example, the high to the "A" outputs on my receiver and the low to "B"? While I know this is not really even passive biamping, shouldn't this setup provide even more isolation than biwiring?

What do you think? Could this help? (Could it somehow damage my equipment?)

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No, this would just be biwiring. Two separate wire runs off the same source, nothing more than that.

Biamping requires separate amplifiers, which you are not doing by just using A and B ouptuts off the same amp.

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

and if it were separate amps, you'd have a lot of trouble adjusting the individual levels of the "A" and "B" channels. in a bi-amped setup you MUST have some way to individually adjust the signal going to the high and low outputs.

4. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

I know that some Kenwood receivers had the A and B speaker outputs wired in series, so if both were turned on and one set of connections had nothing connected to it, you'd get no sound since the loop was open. If your amp is wired like this and you wire up your speakers the way you were inquiring about the highs or lows may be filtered out before they reach the appropriate drivers. Or at least I think they would.

I would think that the Rotel would be wired in parallel. If it is, you wouldn't run into this problem.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have my Mordaunt Short 902s wired this way with my integrated. I wanted to try out biwiring myself, and there was a slight improvement, but nothing to write home about, and I only have it wired this way for convenience since I am using bare single conductor wire.

Whether you wire it this way or not, the amp "sees" exactly the same load as if there were only one wire going to the speaker. IMO, I got about the same improvement by just replacing the lousy included jumpers with a quality piece of the same wire I am wiring the speakers with.