What's new

A 5 channel amp for about $ 1,000. (1 Viewer)

Luis M

Second Unit
I want to upgrade the amp section of my set up. I now have the Marantz 8200 receiver and the Paradigm 100 v3 and 570 center channel. I listen to 50/50 movies and music but If given the choice I would get an amp that favors music which is the area where I do some critical listening.

I was thinking of the Rotel 1075 but My worry is how much better the Rotel (if at all) will sound over the Marantz?, which sounds pretty good to me for a receiver. I know the Rotel will deliver the 125 watts all channels driven for movies but my concern is more musical quality than power driven. The Marantz delivers 125 watts per channel in stereo mode.

If there are any other choices of good 5 channel amps, even used ones for about $1,000, I will be open to suggestions.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Looks like you might have missed out on the MM9000 for $699 at AC4L.com - 150x5 THX Ultra cert. Doesn't look like they have them anymore.

IMO, the 1075 will sound a bit better, and will be a step up in power.

I have an 8300 and my music listening is mostly 2ch, but my mains are also 4 Ohm. I got a noticable improvement by going to monoblocks for my mains. I picked up two MA500s dirt cheap off Audiogon, and they were worth every penny. This leaves the receiver just driving my center and surrounds.

Luis M

Second Unit
John my main objective is to get better sound for music listening which is 99% of the times with good old stereo, I think getting a good quality 2 channel amp may also be a good alternative. I thought of a 5 channel amp because I got the Denon 2900 dvd-a and sacd player and thought a 5 channel amp would provide even power and an equal sound characteristic to all channels but then again my surround speakers are a pair of very small energys.

CurtisC

Second Unit
There are lots of good 5ch amps for about 1k,ATI(150 watts per}brand new $1095 Agon is one.

Teddy-P

Auditioning
Do any of these amps you guys speak of from Audigon carry manufacturer warranty? $1K is a lot to spend on something that could die.

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator
Teddy P,

You could always look for a 2 channel Bryston 3B or 4B for around $1k on Audiogon.

Some may have 10+ years warranty left.

JackS

Supporting Actor
I agree with Felix and his two channel suggestion. However, I don't think that the premium price for a Bryston is necessary. Any amp that is working when you finally get it, has the about the same chance for longivity and can be purchased for much less. I realise there is a slight risk but with amps the risk will always be minimal. I would assume that most Brystons returned for repair have be blown due to the users carelessness. If your buying used, forget about warranty beyond the first few days of operation and save. Amps can last a lifetime.

Luis M

Second Unit
Thank you guys, I am going to take some time to decide on this. I want to make a good buy and maybe some more saving will get me the right amp.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

I strongly disagree about this "premium price". As far as I'm concerned, Brystons are "premium" amplifiers, and thus deserve "premium" prices. They hold their value well too, perhaps in part due to the fact that they carry 20 year TRANSFERRABLE warranties. You'd be hard pressed to find something that sounds better for under $1000.

That's only a two channel solution, but for critial listening of music, especially with the Studio 100s, you'll notice a good difference between the Marantz and a strong separate stereo amplifier. And now that the Marantz doesn't have to power the main channels, the power supply will have more reserves to drive the other three channels better.

Luis M

Second Unit
Drew, I am leaning more towards buying a solid 2 channel amp and using the Marantz 8200 internal amps for the center and surrounds channels as you suggested. I have been reading great reviews on the Parasound HCA-1500 (205 watts per channel) and the Rotel 1080 (200 watts per channel) I know Rotel makes great amps for the money but I've also heard that Parasound makes very good sounding amps.

My room is on the bright side with tiles, no rugs,a big glass door and a huge piece of glass facing my front speakers, so I need an amp on the sweeter side of things. I am sure I will be happier with a solid two channel amp than a 5 channel one and spend less money in the procces, My listening of multi-channel audio is very limited.

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Drew...but...

I am not sure why so many people in their HT get just a solid 2 channel amp for their front left/right channels and use different amplification for their center channel speaker?

I can see that the surrounds dont need as much power but I think the Center channel deserves at least equal amplification as the front left/right channels.

After all, it is your center channel taking care of most of the dialogue in a movie soundtrack.

Maybe getting a solid 2 channel amp is a temporary solution...

My reccomendation is to get the same front 3 speakers, cables and amplification...otherwise you might as well mix and match your speakers.

I guess money is always going to be an issue.
:frowning:

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Well, it depends on your priority. If you listen to alot of music, then the centre channel doesn't require any amplification. And while it's nice to have it all the same, there are less than ideal situations which can prompt alternate solutions...but those alternate solutions can yield results that are close to ideal. My secondary system centre channel doesn't match, my friend has a Martin Logan centre between Magnepan mains, it works. And he uses a 2ch Bryston and a Sony amp for the other 3 channels. Good sound. If you didn't know what was what, you probably couldn't tell a difference.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
if you want it mostly for music, get a 2 channel amp...

there are a lot of options...

i would look at www.odysseyaudio.com

the stratos has a heavy class A weighting if you care about that...

also, parasound, arcam, rotel, adcom, musical fidelity, etc have 2 channel stuff in your price range.

also here are some interesting pieces:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...?sku=ARAB2002S

i would also look at a audiogon to see what deals are out there...

Rich

Luis M

Second Unit
Rich, Of all the suggestions I have gotten so far the Odyssey 165 watt amp looks the most promising to me. It looks like a lot of amp for the buck. exellent reviews and a 20 year warranty..WOW.. That's probably how long the company will be in bussines. I am keeping a close eye on this one but still opened for other suggestions.

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
They are not as plentiful but a nice 3Ch amp might be just what you are looking for.

I see a few 3 chs on audiogon with as much as 200 WPC X3 for less than $1000.

The center ch is very demanding in HT so personally I think it is important to give more power there. I run a 3 Ch and let my Rotel receiver run the surrounds. With only 2 less demanding (or 4 if you are 7.1) channels in the rear a lot less load on the receiver, solid power for 2ch plus the extra power for the center. Something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks