What's new

A $27.00 solution to the DVD-A/SACD 5.1 input problem (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
I was cruising around Parts Express and came across these little guys...
091-510m.jpg

You can see them here...
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...=2491&CATID=39
Take 6 of these and plug them into your 5.1 inputs on your reciever. Run the DVD-A player into one input and the SACD player into the other.
As long as you don't play them both at the same time, you should be good as gold! :)
Pretty Cool eh?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
ric:
i posted the same question back in october...the response i got was no it wouldn't work. here's the link to my post and the responses. NOTE: when you scroll down the page, i used to have an image of a "t" adaptor which looked very much like the one you have posted but for some reason it has now become a male-male inline connector.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=14287
kevin t

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ric, many companies make this type of Y-adapter. For example, Audio Advisor sells Monster's version for $20 each. I have been told that these along with cable-type Y-adapters will not work for splitting 5.1-channel inputs for DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD, and I confirmed some months ago that the cable-type adapters do not work.

RicP

Screenwriter
I confirmed some months ago that the cable-type adapters do not work.
Please explain this in depth if you don't mind. Which adapters did you use and what was the exact outcome. Did you try it with both devices on? One off? One unplugged? I'm very curious.

Mine will be here Monday. I will post a full report of success or failure.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ric, I tried Monster's cable-type Y-adapter. Basically, it has one male connector and two female connector that are separated by a short cable. Tweeter sells them for $15 each. I bought six of them, and tried both multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio with only one component on at a time, and the sound was muted. I had to turn the volume up on my receiver to about -20.0 dB just to hear the music at what I would consider a moderate listening level. They just didn't work out, so I returned them.

By the way, I also tried the Monster version of the Y-adapter you bought to split two inputs on the integrated amp in my second system. This adapter didn't work either.

These Y-adapters are often used when connecting a subwoofer that has two inputs to a receiver with one output. My Monster subwoofer cable came with a connector like the one you bought.

I am very happy with the Radio Shack A/V switch boxes (part number 15-1952) that I bought a few months ago. You need two of these for multi-channel DVD-Audio and SACD, but they are only $15 each. I observe no sound degradation, even if I have both components turned on. It has been said here by some that Radio Shack has discontinued these switch boxes, but some stores may still have them.

RicP

Screenwriter
I bought six of them, and tried both multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio with only one component on at a time, and the sound was muted. I had to turn the volume up on my receiver to about -20.0 dB just to hear the music at what I would consider a moderate listening level. They just didn't work out, so I returned them.
I just want to clarify...
Was the muted volume the only problem? Or did you notice any other degradation?
If the only issue is the muted volume, that may not be as big an issue for me, but if there are other artifacts, that of course would make them less than usable.
Thanks for your comments. :)

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Ric,

That 'muted' level issue IS a problem. You're not getting a uniform linear reduction in amplitude across the frequency spectrum (as in a good volume pot), but rather an upside-down bell curve where the highs and lows will be further attenuated. Won't hurt to try it of course.

RicP

Screenwriter
Gotcha Joe. Thanks for the clarification.
Hmmm. now what to do with 6 adapters :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ric, when I tried the Monster Y-adapter, I listened to DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD for only a couple minutes each. The volume issue was reason enough for me to dump the idea. I would imagine that you can return the adapters to Parts Express.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Keith, I got the RS switches at a RS locally, I think that local dealers still have them (they had 5). I don't hear any degredation either, Thanx for answering all my Q about it, I was a bit concerned since I would have about $2000 worth of cable pluged into a $15 switch.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
is this what you're talking about? does it really have 6 inputs and outputs? the RS website has no picture of the back of the unit.
also it says they are still available online. i'd like to go ahead and buy a pair of them if this is indeed what i'd need for both formats.

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Muted sound AND Distortion.

I also tried Y adapters for my player's,and could also hear obvious distortion,

There is crosstalk for some reason even with the silent player unused. Stay away for Y's,and get the Rat Shack switch boxes-They work perfectly.

Regards

Chris

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Whether these work or not is very system dependant. Usually these types of adapters work great (and are designed for) when sppitting an output signal to plug it to two places (like with a sub with stereo inputs). They're really very unpredictable when taking two signals and combining them. As I wrote, it will depend on the SACD player, DVD-A player, and receiver involved and how the units react. There is a chance that it will work. Make sure that the player that you're using is switched OFF, not simply making no sound.

However, I can't recommend the Radio Shack A/V switch boxes highly enough. There's no doubt that they work, and work very well.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,
That's the Radio Shack A/V switch box I am talking about. However, you need two of them for multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio. Each box has two inputs and one output. Each input or output has just three jacks: left and right audio and composite video. So, two of these boxes are required. I use them as follows:
Box 1
Input A: front left DVD-Audio, front right DVD-Audio, center DVD-Audio
Input B: front left SACD, front right SACD, center SACD
Output front left, front right, center (to receiver)
Box 2
Input A: rear left DVD-Audio, rear right DVD-Audio, subwoofer DVD-Audio
Input B: rear left SACD, rear right SACD, subwoofer SACD
Output: rear left, rear right, subwoofer (to receiver)
Rodney,
Glad to hear the Radio Shack switch boxes are working for you. I was glad to help. Enjoy!

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
To turn this around a bit: suppose I have 1 SACD player and 2 separate HT receivers (in 2 different rooms) with 5.1 inputs. Can I use these adapters to feed both HT receivers from the 1 player without any problem? I would probably only have 1 receiver turned on at any one time.

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Julian, that is the application that these splitters are designed for - a low output impedance feeding two high input impedance devices. It should work fine.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Julian,
I suppose you could use the output on the Radio Shack switch boxes as the input from your SACD player and the two sets of inputs as the outputs to your receiver.
Rodney said:
Keith, I have mine set up the EXACT same way.
You know what they say about great minds. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks